The baby who would become Overman was shot into space by his birth parents to escape the destruction of his home planet of Krypton. His rocket landed on Earth, where he was found and raised by the Nazi dictator Vandal Savage. He grew up to become the Reich's primary enforcer, and a symbol of Aryan power. He fell in love with a woman named Lois Lane, who was secretly a spy working for General Zod and his Freedom Fighters. When he learned of her betrayal, Overman personally executed her. Although he had shown the ultimate loyalty to Savage, he was still deeply traumatised by Lois' death, so Savage had his scientists suppress Overman's memories of her and his grief.
One day, while addressing a crowd of supporters, Overman suddenly found himself transported to a strange room with a dark-haired woman. He demanded to know where he was and what had happened and attacked her. He quickly realised he was on another world and planned to conquer it for the Reich. The woman shot him with a gun powered by something called Kryptonite, but he was not hurt by it. He blasted her with his heat vision but subconsciously recognised her as Lois and spared her life, simply flying away.
He fought the heroes of this other world who called themselves the Justice League and was able to match them all, but the Martian Manhunter was able to defeat him with a psychic attack, forcing him to relive his memories of Lois. The League imprisoned him, but the dimensional shifts which had brought him to their world continued and accelerated, causing chaos around the world. Manhunter sensed what he believed was the source of the cosmic shifts and the League decided to follow his intuition into a vortex which and appeared above Earth. Although they did not trust him, they decided to bring Overman with them as they believed his strength may prove useful.
The League reached The Mirrored Room and were able to convince Amazo not to destroy the barriers between universes. However, the being beyond the mirrors called to Overman and he destroyed the barriers, freeing it. Amazo-II gave the assembled heroes a vision of fighting against it, while in reality they were all suspended motionless in space. In the shared illusion, Overman chose to fight against the League, deciding his revenge against them was more important that the survival of the Multiverse.
Amazo-II destroyed the entire multiverse, including Overman, but he and all of reality were recreated by the Life Equation. Overman was returned to Earth-X and, with his memories of Lois restored and racked with guilt over his actions, he turned himself over to the Freedom Fighters for trial.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Overman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Overman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Overman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Overman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Overman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Overman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Overmans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Overman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Overman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Overman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Overman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Overman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Overman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Overman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Overman can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Mental Disorder: Overman has deep-seated trauma over the death of his world's version of Lois Lane, who he turned in to the Reich when he learned she was a dissident. This makes him particularly vulnerable to psychic attacks.
- Solar Energy Dependency
- Overman is immune to Kryptonite from other dimensions and isn't familiar with the concept of Kryptonite.
- He is primarily based on Kal-L (Earth 10).
- 6 Appearances of Kal-El (DCAU: Earth-X)
- 3 Images featuring Kal-El (DCAU: Earth-X)
- Quotations by or about Kal-El (DCAU: Earth-X)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (DCAU: Earth-X)
The Fourth Reich member
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."