- I'm going to save the planet, Winslow. We're going to save mankind. From you and Brainiac and all the rest. That's why I'm getting the children out of here. They'll be safe on their home planet. I don't care what you dreamed.
- -- Superman src
Kal-El -Earth name Clark Kent- is Superman, one of the last survivors of the planet Krypton together with his cousin Supergirl. He's one of the mightiest heroes in the planet and member of the Justice League of America.
On one occasion, the Legion of Doom carried forward a scheme to get rid of the League which consisted in hacking into the Batcave's computers to discover the Leaguers' secret identities and then striking all of them at once. Clark Kent was ambushed in his own home by Bizarro, and then ganged up by Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite and Solomon Grundy.
Superman was saved by Captain Marvel, who took him to the Batcave to find out why no one else answered his emergency call after the Legion of Doom showed up on TV, claiming to be mankind's true benefactors. Unfortunately, Superman learned Batman was controlled by microscopic parasites that were likewise trying to take control of his mind. After neutralizing Batman and his butler he got Marvel to throw him into the Sun in order to burn the mindworms out of his body.
On their way back to Earth, Superman and Captain Marvel worked together to save Red Tornado and Flash's lives. Afterwards, Superman lent his Fortress of Solitude to the Leaguers to launch a counter attack against the Legion. As observing the Legion's floating cities Superman realized both those cities and the mindworms were developed by Brainiac.
The Flash captured Captain Cold and Batman got the Legion's plans out of him. Unfortunately he alsofound out the Legion had mind-controlled the younger heroes like Supergirl, Batgirl and the Teen Titans into capturing their families and friends.
The Justice League cooked up a plan to free the hostages while keeping the Legion of Doom distracted. After saving their families, the Leaguers and the younger heroes fought the Legion and evacuated their cities. Superman, Zatanna and Red Tornado chased Brainiac across the planet until Superman finally trapped him and his ship.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Superman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supermans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- 12 Appearances of Kal-El (Justice)
- 27 Images featuring Kal-El (Justice)
- 3 Quotations by or about Kal-El (Justice)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Justice)
- Superman at dccomics.com
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Superman at Supermanica
Superman Family member
Daily Planet Staff member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.