Superman, birth name Kal-El and adopted name Clark Kent, is Earth’s premiere superhero and the stalwart protector of Metropolis. The exact details of superhero career are unknown, but it is safe to assume they are the same as his New Earth counterpart.
Days later, Clark meets up with Billy again in a diner, this time inviting to three breakfasts. He tells Billy he wants to write a story to bring his plight, and those in his same situation, to public light. Billy confesses his insecurities to Clark, saying he tries to be a good person even when his own life difficult. Unfortunately, the supervillain Black Adam storms the diner and attacks the boy. Clark attempts to protect Billy, but a blow from Black Adam sends him through several walls. He emerges from beneath the rubble and quickly changes into his Superman uniform, confronting Black Adam while Billy attempts to escape.
Although they are equals in strength, the magical nature of Adam’s powers gives him an advantage over Superman. At the same time, Superman attempts to compensate by attacking Adam with powers he doesn’t have, such as heat vision. The battle drags on and Adam knocks Superman unconscious. Fortunately, Billy transforms into the new superhero Captain Marvel and joins forces with Superman. The two heroes slowly gain the advantage, but Black Adam destroys a part of the city’s dam which threatens to flood Fawcett City. He also threatens to kill a bystander unless Captain Marvel surrenders himself in his mortal form.
Fortunately, Superman is able to stop the flood with his cold breath, another power Adam does not have. He also saves the civilian, giving Billy enough time to transform into Captain Marvel and defeat Adam. Superman talks the Captain out of murdering Adam to prevent further acts of evil. Adam declares that only death will stop him, but Tawky Tawny, Billy's guardian angel, arrives on the scene and says the Wizard Shazam will banish Black Adam into space again. Black Adam says his magic word and transforms into a mortal, committing suicide to avoid exile. As Tawny leaves, Superman tells Captain Marvel he has some unusual friends.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Superman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supermans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): In combat situations, Superman makes use of an improvised fighting style that relies on overwhelming force and speed.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Red sun radiation
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the film Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam and is an adaptation of Clark Kent/Superman. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Action Comics #1.
- Superman was voiced by George Newbern.
- 1 Appearances of Kal-El (Return of Black Adam)
- 2 Images featuring Kal-El (Return of Black Adam)
- Quotations by or about Kal-El (Return of Black Adam)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Return of Black Adam)