- My rocket from Krypton arrived in a field in the occupied Sudetenland in 1938. German rocket scientists retro-engineered the technology Herr Hitler used to win the war, and I... I and my kind inherited a Utopia built on human suffering. Mine is not any world you know.
- -- Overman src
Rocketed to Earth as a baby from the dying world of Krypton, Kal-L landed in the occupied Sudetenland in 1938. From the rocket that carried him, Nazi scientists reverse-engineered the technology to win the war, and Overman became the hero of "a utopia built on human suffering". He became affiliated with the JLAxis. However, his love of his duties was tempered by the guilt he carried. Eventually, Nazi scientists succeeded in seeding Overman's genetic material with two human children. One of them became a monster called Antihuman, while the other became Overgirl. Overman became fond of Overgirl and came to regard her as his cousin.
During the Final Crisis, Overgirl went missing. In the course of looking for her, he was contacted by Monitor Zillo Valla with an offer: if he helped her find a way to save the universe, she would help him find his cousin. He accepted her terms.
On the adventure that followed, he helped save several worlds from the crashing form of the Echo of Midnight. When Zillo Valla's craft crashed on Earth-51, she asked him to take her to her quarters. However, this was a ruse, and she used his blood to revitalize herself and her craft.
Overman survived and attempted to attack Valla, but was stopped by Billy Batson, who told him that Valla had acted only to save the ship. Shortly after, he joined his fellow Supermen in attacking Mandrakk's destroyer.
While he survived the adventure, he was unable to find out what happened to his cousin as Valla was killed before being able to inform him of her fate. Overman ultimately learned of his cousin's fate from The Question, and joined in the final strike against Mandrakk alongside the Supermen of the Multiverse.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Overman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Overman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Overman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Overman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Overman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Overman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Overmans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Overman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Overman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Overman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Overman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Overman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Overman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Overman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Multilingualism: Overman speaks both German and English, the latter with great discomfort.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Overman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- 6 Appearances of Kal-L (Earth-10)
- 4 Images featuring Kal-L (Earth-10)
- 1 Quotations by or about Kal-L (Earth-10)
- Character Gallery: Kal-L (Earth-10)
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Holy anachronisms, Batman!
This article is in need of updated information.