Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I was sure before...sure we could somehow outrace our past. That mountain of dead...but sometimes I just think...what if we deserve this?
- — Overman src
Rocketed to Earth as a baby from the dying world of Krypton, Kal-L landed in the occupied Sudetenland in 1938. Discovered by the Nazi Party, the child was raised by Adolf Hitler, who inspired by a Superman comic rechristened the child Overman, a Nazi Superman modeled after the hero of his opponents to dash their hopes. Under Hitler's command, Overman and the German forces conquered the Earth, finishing with the conquest of Washington D.C. on April 20th, 1956. Later departing Earth for 3 years, Overman returned and to his horror saw the finalization of the Holocaust, later becoming an outspoken critic of Hilter's policy of genocide, even while continuing to serve the Nazi state alongside the New Reichsmen. Eventually, Nazi scientists succeeded in creating a clone of Overman from his stem cells, producing Overgirl, who Overman loved and came to regard as family. He would also take a consort, Lena, who he would keep young for decades with the aid of an alien chemical, though their marriage would grow cold and loveless.
After Overgirl's death, Overman was inconsolable, haunted by dreams of her death, the deaths of his allies' equivalents on the former Earth-10, and of Lord Broken of The Gentry. Overcome by his cousin's death, Lena's rage over the dwindling supply of the chemical that gave her youth, the terrorist actions of the Freedom Fighters, and his guilt over his own past atrocities, Overman supplied information to the Freedom Fighters, only to result in the demise of the New Reichsmen and of Metropolis. His grief and guilt immeasurable, he would later be overthrown, with the aid of his own friend Jürgen Olsen.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Overman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Overman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Overman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Overman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Overman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Overman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Overmans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Infrared Vision: Overman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Overman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Overman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Overman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Overman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Overman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Overman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Overman can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Overman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Old Age: Despite his apparent physical youth, it has been suggested that at 98 his powers are no longer what they once were.
- Rather than a "Man of Steel", Overman is known as a "Man of Iron".
- Unlike many of the Supermen of the Multiverse, who came to their heroic identities independently, Overman's name and appearance were knowingly and explicitly based off of the (in their universe) fictional character of Superman. In this regard, he is notably similar to Superboy Prime and the Clark Kent of Superman: Secret Identity as a 'Superman' that exists in a world where he already existed as a fictional character.
- 9 Appearances of Kal-L (Earth 10)
- 11 Images featuring Kal-L (Earth 10)
- 1 Quotations by or about Kal-L (Earth 10)
- Character Gallery: Kal-L (Earth 10)
Superman Family member