- Workers of the West, too long have you been deceived by the lies of America. This pitiful wall was created to prevent you from knowing the truth... that you live your lives enslaved to the capitalist elite. In the name of peace, in the name of equality for the United States and Western Europe, I open this gate. I tear down this wall.
- — Superman src
Kal-L also known as Superman, was a Soviet leader and soldier as well as a superhero.
Kal-L was a Kryptonian who after crash-landing in the Soviet Union, was raised by human farmers. During his childhood, he made friends with a girl named Svetlana who often used to protect him from bullies, as he avoided fighting back so as to not hurt them due to his powers. Svetlana encouraged him to enlist in the Red Army after he demonstrated his powers, saying he should serve the people with it.
Overtime, he became a favorite of the Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin and came to be known as the superhero "Superman". He also took down and reprogammed Brainiac after he shrunk Stalingrad. When the Zenith satellite of the USSR was about to crash into Metropolis, he stopped it in time and assured Americans that they need not be afraid of him.
The Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane confronted him and dared him for an interview over which country's system was better. On the top of the Daily Planet building, she showed him proof that the reality of USSR was starkly different from his rose-tinted view and how Stalin had been imprisoning as well as killing people in secret gulags.
Superman decided to investigate one of the gulags himself, which was hidden from his sight under a lead bunker. There, he discovered the grim reality of what Stalin had been doing and also met a young boy who was bitter at him for not reaching them in time and saving his parents, the same young boy would grow up to become the anarchist terrorist known as Batman.
He also found a dying Svetlana who encouraged him to protect the people before dying. Later, he killed Stalin in anger after he showed no remorse. As the President of USSR, he led a campaign against the United States and its allies while also actively making a propaganda effort to bring other nations to their side. He also personally led the Soviet capture of South Korea and reformation of a united Korea.
During an official ceremony, he met the Themysciran ambassador and Princess Diana, also known as "Wonder Woman", who he initially tried to woo believing she wanted a political union, but realized she was a lesbian to his relief. She however agreed to be his friend and an ally in his adventures, believing he had a genuine desire to change the world for the better unlike Stalin.
Lex Luthor, an ambitious American scientist who had a great hatred towards him, designed his clone Superior Man by using his cells from the Zenith satellite. Lex sent Superior Man to attack Superman at the Kremlin under permission from President Dwight Eisenhower. During their battle however, Superior Man died as a result of an energy overload by Lex.
Overtime Wonder Woman grew concerned with his tyrannical behavior of turning dissidents into mind-controlled slaves and him controlling the behavior of his people, though still holding out hope for him despite Queen Hippolyta not trusting him and wanting to shut the Themysciran Embassy. Batman who had been organizing a terrorist campaign targeting both Soviet forces and people, soon abducted Wonder Woman however and tied her up with her own Lasso of Truth.
Making Diana call out to him, he tricked Superman into his trap containing red solar lamps that depowered him. After delivering a brutal beating, Batman left him to die trapped in the gulag, but Diana broke her lasso and destroyed the generator powering the solar lamps, though turning older in the process as the lasso was bound to her life force.
Batman refused when Superman mocked that he'll become a mind-controlled slave, leaving Diana horrified when Batman blew himself up rather than accept it and fracturing her friendship with the Soviet leader. Superman continued his campaign, but refrained from attacking United States, believing it will tear itself apart. The election of Luthor as President however brought about an unexpected global American resurgence.
After the Green Lantern Corps tried to invade USSR, he confronted them over the Atlantic Ocean. The battle was interrupted by Wonder Woman, who pleaded him to stop and let him talk to Luthor, while also informing him that Hippolyta had decided to shut the Themysciran Embassy. He refused to relent and tried to punch Diana, who easily stopped it and left to return to Themyscira in disgust at him and man's world.
The battle between the Green Lanterns and Superman then resumed with the Soviet President easily decimating them. He then decided to conquer the United States alongside Brainiac on his own. Landing in an unprotected Washington, D.C., he was confronted by Lex's wife Lois who showed him the bottled Stalingrad and how he was no different than Brainiac. Realizing his mistakes and how Brainiac didn't inform him he could restore Stalingrad because he was a tyrant, he decided to abandon his ways.
Brainiac however refused and revealed Superman was never in control of him, instead it was he who manipulated Superman. Lex assisted Superman in taking Brainiac down with his prototype warsuit. They however quickly realized that Brainiac had initiated the self-destruction of his Skull Ship which will destroy the whole planet and Superman took the ship far away in space, realizing he had finally fulfilled Svetlana's dying wish.
Despite assumptions of his death, he returned to Earth and watched the retirement ceremony of Luthor. He smiled at Lois after she spotted him to her surprise but quickly disappeared into the crowd, later leaving to live his new life as an oridinary civilian in secret after Luthor's speech concluded.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kal-L possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Kal-L's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kal-L can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Kal-L's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Kal-L's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kal-L can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kal-Ls can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kal-L can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kal-L is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Kal-L is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kal-L is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Kal-L's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Kal-L is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kal-L is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Kal-L can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Tactical Analysis
- Multilingualism: Kal-L was able to speak at least English and Russian.
- Computer Operation
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kal-L possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Dependency: His abilities will eventually weaken without replenishing his energy reserves with normal (yellow) sun radiation, especially if he doesn't have any direct contact with yellow sunlight. When exposed to the same red solar radiation as Krypton's red sun Rao, it causes Kal-L to lose his powers within a large amount of exposure. The effects are however immediately reversed when he is no longer afflicted by it.
- Lead: Kal-L cannot see through lead with his X-ray vision.
- Lead: Kal-L cannot see through lead with his X-ray vision.
- Brainiac (Formerly)
- 1 Appearances of Kal-L (Superman: Red Son Movie)
- 1 Images featuring Kal-L (Superman: Red Son Movie)
- 1 Quotations by or about Kal-L (Superman: Red Son Movie)
- Character Gallery: Kal-L (Superman: Red Son Movie)
Superman Family member
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."
|Wonder Woman Villain(s)|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons in any of her various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Wonder Woman Villains category."