Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Only the strong rule in Apokolips!
- — Kalibak src
Kalibak is the brutal son of Darkseid of Apokolips.
Commanding Glorious Godfrey to retrieve the Chaos Sliver from Earth, he instead received an ornament that emitted a similar energy signature in order to fuel the Chaos Cannon, to which was pleased.
Praying to his father, Kalibak loaded and fired the Chaos Cannon in the name of Darkseid, destroying an entire moon. Recharging the cannon, he now targeted a populated planet whose destruction would nourish Apokolips, but was interrupted by an intruder who was behind the Chaos Cannon's power source. He confronted the invader but was nonetheless defeated before his father arrived.
Kalibak recovered and once again engaged Batman, but the latter transported him out the battle into a distant part of Apokolips. When he returned, he was too late as Batman and his allies already escaped Apokolips. However, Cyborg's inability to close the Boom Tube left the door open for Kalibak who followed them to Earth with the purpose of killing them. A goal he almost succeeded in until he was confronted by a revived Damian who possessed a new array of powers that allowed him to overpower Kalibak and send him back to Apokolips.
Commanded by the Doyenne Barda, both Gods were massacring the humans on Amazonia when they were confronted by Jimmy Olsen who quickly defeated Barda before being knocked down and ravaged by Kalibak, who discovered the boy is a New God. However, since he bested the one who defeated Barda, he demanded to be the one leading her, engaging an enraged Barda which made her flee and hide.
Kalibak later led the attack against the last survivors of Earth, slaying everything he saw until Superman charged against him to save the remaining survivors from Apokolips. After the Earth was devoured, Kalibak stood at his father's side while he proclaimed that they must prepare for what comes next.
Darkseid sent Steppenwolf to summon Kalibak for the battle against the Anti-Monitor, to which he joined his father alongside the forces of Apokolips in their battle on Earth. The war initiated, he battled against his sister until she gorged his eyes, blinding him. The battle raged until his father summoned Death to aid him, but the balance was shifted and the Anti-Monitor used Darkseid's weapon against him, ending his life.
Leaderless, the surviving Apokoliptians turned their attention towards the humans, deciding to destroy them in name of retribution for his father.
Powers and Abilities
- New God Physiology: The beings of Apokolips call themselves Gods and live outside of normal time and space, even outside of the normal 52 universes. These New Gods have evolved due to taking up the powers of other gods and through the use of the Source, believed to be one of the ultimate foundations of the Universal Expression of Energy, along with their superior technology, into beings of genetic stability and evolutionary perfection. The denizens of Apokolips are immortal, stronger, faster, and smarter than homo sapiens, despite their resemblance.
- Superhuman Strength: Strong enough to destroy even Godflesh.
- Superhuman Durability: Kalibak could endure the strongest hits of Batman's Hellbat Suit without visible injury and the combined blasts of the Batcave's weapons arsenal.
- Superhuman Stamina
- Enhanced Smell: Kalibak can feel the scent of his opponents in order to compensate for his sight in the event of losing it.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): He was trained by Wioska a former combat instructor of Apokolips.
- Weaponry: Capable club fighter.
- Military Protocol
- Blindness: Grail destroyed the eyes of Kalibak during the Darkseid War, dooming him to remain without his sight.
- Apokoliptian Scythe
- Beta Club: A weapon that fires energy blasts powerful enough to even harm an Apokoliptian New God.
- Kalibak was created by Jack Kirby, first appearing in New Gods #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Kalibak first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batman and Robin (Volume 2) #33 by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason.
- Kalibak is sometimes known as Kalibak the Cruel.
- Kalibak has a ring piercing his nose.
- 38 Appearances of Kalibak (Prime Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Kalibak (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Kalibak (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Kalibak (Prime Earth)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2) #33
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2) #35
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2) #36
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2) #37
- Robin Rises: Alpha #1
- Earth 2: World's End #17
- Earth 2: World's End #22
- Earth 2: World's End #23
- Earth 2: World's End #25
- Earth 2: World's End #26
- Justice League (Volume 2) #43
- Justice League (Volume 2) #44
- Justice League (Volume 2) #45
- Superman: Man of Tomorrow #7
|Jack Kirby's Fourth World |
This character or group of characters are related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World, either the original concept and group of titles by Jack Kirby, or any of their subsequent adaptations by other creators. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Fourth World Characters category.
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.