A college student, Kara chafes under her big brother's over-protectiveness -which has gotten worse since their parents' deaths- and the Family Rules that forbid her to don a costume until she's twenty-one. Kara doesn't see the point of college for someone with the powers of super-speed and total recall, and longs for the day when she can officially take up the "Supergirl" mantle and perform heroic deeds. Waiting for that day, she's already made her own costume, even though Klar wouldn't approve.
Shortly after the debut of Superman XX, Earth and most of inhabited planets in the galaxy were attacked by millions of robot soldiers. Kara was warned by Lena Luthor that said invasion was being orchestrated by the Superman Family's old enemy Muto. Kara decided to break the rules, put on her Supergirl costume and head to the Fortress of Solitude -an invisible artificial satellite in this era- where her brother and other heroes were planning some sort of counterattack. Nevertheless, she brought Lena with her and told her to stay out of sight, just in case.
Kara was warning the heroes about Muto, who had already conquered the Andromeda System, when Muto himself teleported in the satellite, having tracked down Green Lantern Ring's energy signature. Muto's psychic powers quickly paralyzed the gathered heroes, and he intended to toy with the heroes before killing them, but thanks to a distraction provided by Lena, they managed to overpower his mind control and nullify him.
Afterwards, Supergirl, her brother and her fellow heroes set out to take care of the now leaderless army. Once they were done, the heroes decided to found the Justice Alliance in order to protect the entire galaxy.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Supergirl possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Supergirl's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Supergirl can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Supergirl's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Supergirl's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Supergirl can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supergirls can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Supergirl can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Supergirl is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Supergirl is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Supergirl is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Supergirl's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Supergirl is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Supergirl is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Longevity: Supergirl can live longer than regular humans, remaining at her prime as long as she was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Eidetic Memory: Kara has the ability called "Total Recall" which ables her to remember everything she learns.
Vulnerability to Sea Water: Due to the genes of Superman XII being altered during the conflict called "the Pollution War" several centuries ago, sea water is lethal to his descendants, including Kara.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 3 Appearances of Kara Ken (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Kara Ken (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Kara Ken (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Kara Ken (Earth-One)
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.