- This is bad. Worse than I'd imagined. It took me longer to reach the Earth than it should have. I was supposed to have years to prepare for Brainiac's arrival. The way it stands now, I'm not sure I could have prepared for this.
- — Supergirl src
Kara Zor-El, alias Supergirl is Power Girl's older cousin. Her father Zor-El and her uncle Jor-El discovered Krypton and other habitable planets were created by Brainiac using a massive super-computer as the core gravitational force. The computer monitored the planet's technological evolution, and when a civilization reached maturity, it called Brainiac back to feed. Both brothers tried to disclose their findings to save Krypton, but the Council refused to listen; so they decided to send their daughters to another world created by Brainiac -Earth- so they could stop him.
Kara was supposed to arrive first so she could prepare her infant cousin, but her ship was delayed. She met her now-adult cousin upon landing, but before she could debrief Power Girl properly, Brainiac attacked the planet. Supergirl said Power Girl to shut down the core computer as she took the fight to Brainiac herself.
Kara smashed her way through Brainiac's Skull Ship, taking a number of enemies down and reaching Brainiac. Unfortunately, Brainiac exposed Supergirl to Black Kryptonite, mind-controlling Kara into fighting the Earth's heroes. Supergirl almost killed them until Wonder Woman turned up and managed to knock her down and out.
After the battle Power Girl ran tests on her cousin and found out the black Kryptonite was killing her. Power Girl and the Atom managed to destroy the Kryptonite infecting her system and the Brainiac's microscopic drones mind-controlling her. Once that she was cured, Supergirl joined the newly-formed Justice League.
Shortly after, Supergirl and the remainder heroes were recruited by Alana Strange and Hawkgirl to fight the threat of Sinestra. To that end, Supergirl was turned into a White Lantern to fight Sinestra's Black Lantern Corps.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Supergirl possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Supergirl's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Supergirl can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Supergirl's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Supergirl's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Supergirl can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supergirls can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Supergirl can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Supergirl is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Supergirl is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Supergirl is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Supergirl's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Supergirl is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Supergirl is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Sound Manipulation: Kara emitted a powerful sonic scream when she broke into Brainiac's ship, knocking down several enemies at once.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Supergirl possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- White Lantern Ring (formerly): Kara was one of the ten women chosen by Metra to wield a White Lantern Ring. After the creation of a new universe, she didn't have the ring anymore.
Kara Zor-El/Supergirl was created by Otto Binder and Al Plastino, first appearing in Action Comics #252. However, in the Ame-Comi continuity Kara Zor-El/Supergirl first appeared in Ame-Comi Girls: Featuring Power Girl #4 by Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray and Mike Bowden.
- Although she wore the White Lantern Ring for a short period of time, she never took the White Lantern alias. There isn't any mention of a White Lantern Corps either.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 7 Appearances of Kara Zor-El (Ame-Comi)
- 4 Images featuring Kara Zor-El (Ame-Comi)
- 2 Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El (Ame-Comi)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El (Ame-Comi)
- Supergirl at dccomics.com
- Supergirl at Wikipedia.org
- Supergirl at Wikipedia.org
- Supergirl at DC Comics
- Supergirl at TV Tropes
- Supergirl at Supermanica
- Supergirl Comic-Book Chronology
- Power Girl at Wikipedia.org
- Power Girl at TV Tropes
- Power Girl at Supermanica
Superman Family member