- It's been an incredible journey... and it has taken its toll, mostly on my personal life! I've never married... and my relationships rarely last more than a year... But still, I'm lucky... I'm living my life the way I want to live it, not by someone else's standards, or in someone else's role!
- —Kara Zor-El (Celebration) src
Linda Danvers was Supergirl and in adulthood Superwoman. She was a cousin of Superman.
Kara Zor-El was born to Zor-El and Allura In-Ze on Argo City, a city which survived the disaster that destroyed Krypton. When Kryptonite radiation was killing all Argonians, her parents sent her to Earth. Kara met her cousin Kal-El, who had began operating in Metropolis as Superman just one year earlier, and she was adopted by Midvale's residents Fred and Edna Danvers, changing her Earth name to Linda Danvers. After graduating high school and college, Kara moved cities several times until she started working as a student advisor in New Athens Experimental School located in Santa Augusta, Florida.
Eventually, Kara decided she needed to help her adopted people in more ways than being a super-hero, so she ran for Governor of Florida. Unfortunately, her commitment prevented her from having an active social life and developing long-term relationships. A fact she resents, although she's glad that she can live her life the way she wants to live it.
When her cousin and his wife were going to celebrating their 16th anniversary, Kara decided to time-travel to take pictures of their relationship's history. As flying through the Timestream, though, Superwoman was ambushed by a Time Beast. After defeating it by luring it to the edge of Time, Kara flew back to her own time to attend Lois and Clark's party together with her boyfriend.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superwoman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superwoman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superwoman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superwoman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Superwoman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superwoman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Superwomans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superwoman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superwoman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superwoman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superwoman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superwoman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superwoman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superwoman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Longevity: Superwoman can live longer than regular humans, remaining at her prime as long as she was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superwoman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of Superwoman, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- This version of Superwoman has a boyfriend, but his identity is deliberately obscured. Various hints to his identity point to Dick Grayson, but this is never confirmed, and Gerry Conway himself doesn't remember his identity.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 1 Appearances of Kara Zor-El (Celebration)
- 1 Images featuring Kara Zor-El (Celebration)
- 2 Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El (Celebration)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El (Celebration)
Superman Family member