- I promised. Where you go, I will follow. Even if I think we should never have come to Moscow.
- — Supergirl src
Kara Zor-El was born to Lara Lor-Van and Alura In-Ze in an attempt by Faora Hu-Ul to create a New Krypton, when her parents realised the lengths that Faora was willing to go to for New Krypton they sent Kara away in a rocket. She fell to Earth, landing in the Soviet Union.
Year One (1940)
As young women, Kara and Kortni enlisted into Russia's Soviet Air Force, as members of the Night Witches, the homeland's most lethal bombers. However, during training day, Kortni's plane engine exploded in midair. Kara jumped from her own plane and flew in to save her. They both landed on the ground safely and were immediately arrested as traitors to their country. They were brought before General Anton Arkayn, where Kara was interrogated on her unusual powers. After proving their loyalty to their homeland, Kara and Kortni became the new faces of Russia's resistance, as Supergirl and Stargirl.
The two of them were soon ordered to attack a "Nazi Camp", but Supergirl's super hearing picked up Russian instead. She realized that the camp was actually disguised as a German camp but was really a camp filled with "expendable" Russian villagers, being used for propaganda. Supergirl and Stargirl ended up turning their backs on their country, which put their parents lives in danger.
After rescuing their parents from the hands of the Russians, Supergirl and Stargirl were attacked by Night Witches, who ended up recapturing their father. Ipati Dugin ordered his girls to escape and protect their mother. Reluctantly, Supergirl agreed. The girls soon found there way to a British naval ship where they meet Aquawoman. After meeting up with Commander Amanda Waller, Supergirl and Stargirl agreed to join her Bombshells.
Year Two (1941)
Devastated after her sister's sacrifice, Wonder Woman brings Supergirl to the Island of Cocytus to help her cope. After she has recovered, Supergirl decides to head back to Russia to rescue her father. Wonder Woman sends Steve Trevor to assist.
Year Three (1942)
Supergirl and Steve Trevor board a train from Istanbul. "Coincidentally", Alexander Luthor is also on the train. After their train suddenly crashes, Supergirl and Steve are taken hostage by Hugo Strange. Supergirl is then forced to do battle with Power Girl, another version of herself that has been cloned from her DNA. She is able to persuade Power Girl that she is not a traitor and convince her that Strange is the true enemy.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kara possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Kara's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kara can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Kara's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Kara's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kara can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Karas can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kara can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kara is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Kara is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kara is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Kara's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Kara is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kara is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Longevity: Kara can live longer than regular humans, remaining at her prime as long as she was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Sonic Screams: When a giant Tenebrae kicked up a inmense wave to crush London, Kara reversed it by shouting loud enough. She also causes an avalanche by using the same method.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kara possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the comic book stories considered to be set on DC Bombshells. It is an adaptation of Kara Zor-El/Supergirl. The original character was created by Otto Binder and Al Plastino and first appeared in Action Comics #252.
Main article: Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 31 Appearances of Kara Zor-El (DC Bombshells)
- 25 Images featuring Kara Zor-El (DC Bombshells)
- 19 Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El (DC Bombshells)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El (DC Bombshells)
Superman Family member