- No one messes with my family!
- — Supergirl src
Kara Zor-El was born on Krypton, daughter to Zor-El and Alura In-Ze. When she was fifteen, a string of powerful earthquakes warned that the planet was about to collapse. The Kryptonian Government started a program to build a spaceship and evacuate young people. Kara applied for becoming a colonist, but she was turned down. Undeterred, Kara's parents built their own ship and sent her to Earth. However, her ship got stuck in the Phantom Zone and she was put in Hypersleep.
Two decades later Kara's ship crash-landed on her new homeworld and met her cousin Superman and his foster parents, who became her new family.
After talking with Wonder Woman, Kara enrolled in Super Hero High, where she quickly made friends with the Themysciran princess and the local computer whizz, Barbara Gordon, who became her best friend. Kara was the first person to call Barbara "Batgirl", encouraged her to become a hero and got Katana to make her costume.
Supergirl won the "Hero of the Month" award shortly after becoming a student in Super Hero High. Since then she has fought villains such like Granny Goddess and her Female Furies, Dark Opal, Vandal Savage, Trigon and Killer Moth, and has unknowingly become the target of Lena Luthor, Super Hero High's new IT expert and Lex Luthor's little sister.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Supergirl possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Supergirl's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Supergirl can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Supergirl's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Supergirl's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Supergirl can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supergirls can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Supergirl can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Supergirl is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Supergirl is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Supergirl is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Supergirl's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Supergirl is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Supergirl is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Longevity: Supergirl can live longer than regular humans, remaining at her prime as long as she was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Driving: Supergirl owns and pilots a spaceship. She's also an adept biker.
- Equestrianism: Kara owned a horse on Krypton which she used ride to the school everyday with.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Supergirl possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Supergirl is voiced by Anais Fairweather
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series DC Super Hero Girls, its related films, and its tie-in comic book series, FCBD 2016 - DC Superhero Girls, DC Super Hero Girls: Finals Crisis, DC Super Hero Girls Halloween Fest Special Edition and DC Super Hero Girls: Hits and Myths. It is an adaptation of Supergirl. The original character was created by Otto Binder and Al Plastino and first appeared in Action Comics #252.
- Supergirl is known as the Kind One due to her optimistic, clumsy and a-dork-able nature.
- She is known for her optimistic nature, always quick to encourage her friends.
- Kara is very fond of garlic knots and ice cream.
- Kara Zor-El is Krypto's owner.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 70 Appearances of Kara Zor-El (DC Super Hero Girls)
- 13 Images featuring Kara Zor-El (DC Super Hero Girls)
- 3 Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El (DC Super Hero Girls)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El (DC Super Hero Girls)
- DC Super Hero Girls: Spaced Out
- DC Super Hero Girls (Shorts) Episode: Batnapped
- DC Super Hero Girls (Shorts) Episode: Around Metropolis in 80 Seconds
- DC Super Hero Girls: Finals Crisis
- DC Super Hero Girls: Out of the Bottle
- DC Super Hero Girls: Spaced Out
- DC Super Hero Girls (Shorts) Episode: Dog Day After School
Superman Family member