Kara Zor-El lives in an isolated community, a Kryptonian city called Argo City, in a pocket of trans-dimensional space. Zaltar allows Kara to see a unique item known as the Omegahedron, which he has borrowed without the knowledge of the city government, and which can infuse an artificial structure with life. She uses it under the tutelage of Zaltar to make a dragonfly-like creature; this creature breaches a window of the community, creating decompression. Although Zaltar saves Argo City by mending the breach with his orange wand, the Omegahedron (which also powers the city) is sucked out into space. Kara follows it to Earth in an effort to recover it and save the city, which will die without it.
Using a vehicle called the binary chute to travel between dimensions, Kara arrives on Earth in the form of Supergirl, wearing a female variant of Superman's uniform. She discovers that she has superpowers as she deals with some rather unfortunate characters wishing to do her harm. Finding herself outside an all-girls prep school, Kara disguises herself in the form of a young Earth girl named Linda Lee and gains admittance into the school, where she becomes a roommate to Lois Lane's sister Lucy, identifying herself as the cousin of Clark Kent. She uses a special bracelet on her wrist to track down the location of the Omegahedron, which leads her to the same town the prep school is in. As Linda and Lucy eat out at a restaurant with Jimmy Olsen, Linda spots a runaway construction scooper wreaking havoc all over the street and carrying a young man, barely conscious. She springs into action as Supergirl to stop the runaway scooper and rescue the man, who ends up falling in love with her.
This brings her to the attention of a witch named Selena, who has used a magical spell on the man named Ethan in order for him to fall in love with her, and ends up falling for Kara. Using the power she acquired from the Omegahedron, Selena draws Kara to her and traps her in the Phantom Zone, where she finds out Zaltar was imprisoned in due to his stealing the Omegahedron and causing it to be cast to Earth. Zaltar risks his life to help Supergirl escape from the Phantom Zone, who returns to Earth, regains her powers, and defeats Selena. Ethan admits his love for Kara, but knows it is possible he may never see her again and understands she must save Argo City. She returns to the trans-dimensional world which lights up again as she brings along the Omegahedron.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kara possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Kara's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kara can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Kara's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Kara's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kara can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Karas can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kara can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kara is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Kara is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kara is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Kara's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Kara is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kara is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Longevity: Kara can live longer than regular humans, remaining at her prime as long as she was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kara possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Uses a special bracelet for tracking down the Omegahedron
- Traveled to Earth using a space capsule called a binary chute
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the Donnerverse film series and is an adaptation of Kara Zor-El/Supergirl. The original character was created by Otto Binder and Al Plastino and first appeared in Action Comics #252.
- Supergirl was portrayed by Helen Slater in the movie Supergirl.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 3 Appearances of Kara Zor-El (Donnerverse)
- 5 Images featuring Kara Zor-El (Donnerverse)
- 1 Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El (Donnerverse)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El (Donnerverse)