- Really? The "S" on my chest didn't give you a clue? I'm his cousin. I'm Supergirl!
- — Supergirl src
She's good-natured, fierce, short-tempered, snarky, has little patience for idiots and strives to lead the League to victory without renouncing her morals and principles in an universe that forsook them long ago.
Kara was launched into space to warn the League about an incoming danger. Superman programmed her ship to lock onto his biological matrix and lead her back to him, but something went wrong. After one thousand years in a stasis pod, Kara crash lands on the planet Woden Twelve where she joins in the Justice League 3000's war against Starro and brings a swift end to the conflict.
Kara joins the Justice League but she finds everything and everyone in that century wrong or annoying: Earth has been turned into a planet-prison, the League's headquarters is a castle, and the Leaguers are crazier, including her cousin who has somehow been turned into a supercilious and moronic jerkass.
Kara heads to Takron-Galtos to help Batman capture an impersonator. After a brief scuffle -which included Kara tearing a giant bat-armor into pieces- they find "Batman" is an annoying girl named Tina Sung. The heroic duo takes her to Sheriff Tariq and discover she is actually direct descendant of Bruce. They are still sorting the matter out when they are attacked by a pack of Scullions. Kara smashes two of them but more Scullions are pouring in. The remainder Leaguers come to their help, but Superman is murdered right away.
Most of Leaguers are killed in the ensuing battle. Supergirl saves Wonder Woman and Flash from the Scullions but they have to flee. The remnants of the League (Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Fire, Ice and Batgirl) make it to a safe-house in planet Ganesha Eleven. The team rests and heals, and Supergirl becomes the new leader.
Kara and her teammates spend six months lying low, living in Takron-Galtos under false names and taking different jobs as they look for information on their enemy Lady Styx. Kara works for the secret police for a while as a way to gather intelligence.
Supergirl sends Wonder Woman, Batgirl and Flash to Cadmusworld as she, Fire and Ice head to Bodhi, a planet burned to ashes by Lady Styx. As scouting about they come upon Larfleeze, and Ice talks him into going back with them and fighting Lady Styx despite Kara believing it to be a spectacularly bad idea.
Back on Paradise Island, the team is attacked by the Legion of Death. Although the Legion fights hard, the Leaguers prevail. Teri is upset after the battle, but Kara reassures her they will win the war.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Supergirl possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Supergirl's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Supergirl can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Supergirl's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Supergirl's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Supergirl can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supergirls can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Supergirl can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Supergirl is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Supergirl is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Supergirl is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Supergirl's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Supergirl is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Supergirl is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Longevity: Supergirl can live longer than regular humans, remaining at her prime as long as she was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Supergirl possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
Kara Zor-El/Supergirl was created by Otto Binder and Al Plastino, first appearing in Action Comics #252. However, in the Justice League 3000 continuity Kara Zor-El/Supergirl first appeared in Justice League 3001 #1 by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, and Howard Porter.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 14 Appearances of Kara Zor-El (Justice League 3000)
- 6 Images featuring Kara Zor-El (Justice League 3000)
- 10 Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El (Justice League 3000)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El (Justice League 3000)
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #1
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #2
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #3
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #5
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #6
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #7
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #8
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #9
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #10
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #11
- ↑ Justice League 3001 #12
- ↑ Blue Beetle (Volume 9) #13
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.