Captain Stingaree was an enemy of Batman.
Born one of a set of quadruplets, Karl Courtney was always the black sheep of the family. Donning a cutlass and pirate outfit, Karl became Captain Stingaree. In his first outing, Captain Stingaree attempted to uncover Batman's secret identity. Somehow Stingaree had become convinced that his three brothers were actually Batman. Batman approached the Courtney brothers to pose as Batman and act as bait for Stingaree. This allowed the real Batman and the Flash to capture Captain Stingaree.
Captain Stingaree later joined Captain Cold and Captain Boomerang in a splinter group of the Secret Society of Super-Villains. The three captains kidnapped other captains to show supremacy over air, land and sea, before they were taken down by Captain Comet and Black Canary.
Captain Stingaree was later revealed to be gay, and in a relationship with The Cavalier. This secret was used as leverage by Black Lightning to blackmail Stingaree into working as an informant for the JLA.
- Swordsmanship: Captain Stingaree is a skilled swordsman.
Captain Stingaree brandishes a rapier as part of his pirate motif.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Captain Stingaree was secretly homosexual and involved in a relationship with fellow Batman foe, Morty Drake. Tao Jones told Jefferson Pierce who used it as informant leverage, though he would never have outed them.
- 13 Appearances of Karl Courtney (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Karl Courtney (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Karl Courtney (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Karl Courtney (New Earth)
Secret Society of Super-Villains member