The Shark is a freak result of a radioactive explosion that evolved a regular tiger shark into a super-humanoid with a highly developed brain while retaining his ruthless predatory instincts.
The explosion of an experimental atomic pile bombarded a prowling tiger shark with radiation. Millions of years of evolution occurred in a matter of minutes. The Shark now possessed incredible mental powers, including matter manipulation and powerful energy bolts. With his mind reading ability he absorbed vast knowledge from the people around him. He found he could project fear in anyone he chose. The Shark was still motivated by one driving force, to seek prey. He used his powers to make himself appear more human, and adopted the name "T.S. Smith" to stand for "Tiger Shark."
In a Coast City restaurant, the Shark devoured dozens of bloody steaks to feed his hunger. He started a fight with a local boxing champ, only to have the champ pass out from fear. Ordinary men would be too easy for the advanced predator, so his mind sought out Hal Jordan, also known as Green Lantern. Seeing his foe was "without fear," the Shark vowed to inject fear into the test pilot. From his mind-probing, Shark learned that Green Lantern's ring was useless against anything yellow, so he used that in his battle by trapping Hal inside a yellow room at Ferris Aircraft. After defeating Green Lantern, the Shark intended to hunt the rest of Hal Jordan's friends in Coast City. However, Green Lantern defeated him using the vapor in the air against the foe, returning him to his original shark form and sending him to an aquarium.
However, this defeat didn't stop Shark from hunting Green Lantern again because he always had a way to return to his mutated humanoid form. On one occasion, he worked alongside some Qwardians who invaded Earth to take revenge on Green Lantern. Still, the Weaponers betrayed their deal and returned the Shark to its original form. He stayed like that for some years, until some chemical waste dropped by S.T.A.R. Labs on the ocean returned him to his evolved form, resuming his hunt. In their next confrontation, Shark was able to absorb Green Lantern's mind, leaving the hero comatose. With Carol Ferris' help, who took his battery to the hospital and recharged his ring, Green Lantern escaped from the Shark's mind and defeated him. Afterward, a physical face-off on a boat caused the ship to explode, killing Shark.
During the Crisis, the Shark was revived by Guy Gardner, who warped time around his dispersed atoms to bring him back to life, and recruited him for a suicide mission to the planet Qward in the Anti-Matter Universe. When their mission failed and the group realized that they would have destroyed the universe instead of saving it, all villains split and started hunting Guy for misleading them.
Powers and Abilities
- Unique Physiology: The Shark was an ordinary shark which was caught in an explosion which transformed his physiology into that of a more humanoid appearance. Along with his new appearance he gained strange new powers and enhanced his regular beastial abilities.
- Amphibian: The Shark can survive both in and out of water. He doesn't weaken after long periods of time out of the water and gains no added advantages while within water.
- Superhuman Strength: The Shark has powerful muscles which only grow strong if he grows in size.
- Superhuman Speed: The Shark has strong muscles in his body which allow him to push through the water or air at incredible speeds.
- Superhuman Durability: The Shark has durable skin which has a rough texture. This allows him to withstand powerful blasts of energy and most physical damage.
- Fangs: The Shark's favorite weapon is, of course, his large teeth which he uses to chomp down on his prey.
- Psychokinesis: The Shark’s super-evolved brain was capable of mind-over-matter feats of manipulation.
- Telepathy: His new form immediately absorbed collective human knowledge, including language. He could project his thoughts into the minds of others, as he did to Hal Jordan, while also learning his secrets as Green Lantern.
- Fear Projection: The Shark can sense and project people's fears around him. His fearful projections are only mental however a strong enough push by the Shark can allow him to create shields or mental blasts.
- Flight: The Shark can fly just as well as he can swim.
- Size Alteration: With enough fear and willpower, The Shark can increase his size to incredible amounts. Large enough to dwarf a small island, his strength and abilities seemingly increase along with his size.
- Energy Projection: The Shark has shown the ability to fire an energy blast from his forehead.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 59 Appearances of Karshon (New Earth)
- 13 Images featuring Karshon (New Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Karshon (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Karshon (New Earth)
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Aquaman, or members of the Aquaman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Aquaman Villains."
Secret Society of Super-Villains member