Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Feeling the sting of the blade and seeing my own blood is comforting. It lets me know I'm not losing my mind...
- — Hawkman src
Katar Hol, better known as the superhero Hawkman, was the adopted son of the King of Thanagar and lover of Shayera, the Princess of Thanagar. After accidentally killing his adopted brother Corsar, he fled Thanagar and crash landed on Earth.
Katar was once a minor noble on the planet Thanagar who "offended one of his betters" and was condemned to Thanagar's Gladitorial Arena. His fame as a gladiator spread and he soon got adopted by the King of Thanagar. After Thanagar's enemies poisoned the King and robbed the Thanagarians of their wings, Katar's adopted brother Corsar ascended to the throne. Corsar decided to mine the mysterious Nth metal in order to help the Thanagarians win the war. Katar opposed this due to the poor treatment the workers were getting. The two fought and when the Nth metal bonded to Katar, he accidentally killed Corsar. Shayera, the Princess of Thanagar, lover of Katar and sister to Corsar tried to capture Katar but he fled. He eventually crashed on Earth where he was found by the Coast Guard. When they asked for his name he said "Katar Hol" before going unconscious. They mistook his saying for "Carter Hall". The US government gave papers to Katar Hol, where he then went to college to study archaeology. He soon met a woman named Emma Ziegler and he became a archaeologist under her father.
Life on Earth
The Nth metal still was bonded to Katar and he became a vigilante under the name of Hawkman. At some point he tried to give up the mantle of Hawkman. But when an alien called Morphicius threatened New York City with a plague, Hawkman was forced to return to action and defeat the alien.
Justice League of America
Hawkman was eventually contacted by Amanda Waller to join a superhero team she was putting together called the Justice League of America that, unknown to the recruits, was meant to serve as a government-sponsored counter to the real Justice League if the team ever went rogue. Hawkman was chosen as a foil for Aquaman. Alongside Martian Manhunter, Hawkman acted as one of the team's heavy hitters. Though he didnt really trust Amanda Waller and Steve Trevor at first, he eventually did. Seeing how working in a team could help improve himself as a warrior.
Death of Hawkman
After the breakdown of the Justice League United, Hawkman decided to return to Thanagar and decided to work as a police officer back home, tired of life on Earth. However, Hawkman found it difficult to work inside the rules of a police officer and was constantly reprimanded by his superiors. Hawkman was partnered with the Thanagarian officer Rayn Kral who, despite being an honest cop, was loyal to his partner even when Hol flew off the handle.
When Despero put a plan into action to collect all the Nth Metal in the universe to take over the galaxy, he set his sights on Thanagar, known for mining it. In order to distract the citizens of the planet long enough to rob them blind, Despero initated a war between Thanagar and their neighbor planet Rann, adopted world of the human space traveler and former Hawkman's former Justice League United comrade Adam Strange. When Strange became suspicious of the cause of the war between the two planets, he contacted Hawkman, and the two sought clues to discover Despero's plan.
Furious that Despero had successfully blown up a Thanagarian mining moon, causing the deaths of thousands,  Hawkman and Strange eventually came to blows with Despero himself, who had now accessed almost all of the Nth Metal Thanagar had controlled and was wearing it to fight them. Realizing the only way to stop Despero was to kill him, Hawkman ordered Strange to activate a machine that would magnetize all the Nth Metal in the area, ripping Hawkman to his death but also killing Despero in the process. Katar Hol was posthumously honored with a statue on his home planet for his sacrifice to save Thanagar.
Powers and Abilities
- Unique Physiology: Being Thanagarian, Katar Hol has a unique physiology.
- Claws: Hawkman was three Nth Metal claws that are bonded to his armour. They are mainly used for close quarters combat. They are attached to a small shield or buckler which the Nth metal also provides.
- Flight: Hawkman has wings that grant him flight. Though Thanagar's enemies poisoned the Thanagarians and robbed them of their wings, the Nth metal that bonded to Katar grew his wings back.
- Superhuman Durability: Hawkman can take hits from super human beings such as Lobo and Aquaman
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Stamina
- Nth Metal: The Nth metal that Katar wields can form all kinds of weapons ranging from axes to swords and maces, he also wields clawed brass knuckles, small shield, a rifle and daggers that are all made of Nth metal.
- Hawkman was created by Gardner Fox and Joe Kubert, first appearing in The Brave and the Bold #34. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Hawkman first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Savage Hawkman #1 by Tony S. Daniel and Philip Tan.
- As a member of the Justice League of America, Hawkman was chosen as a foil for Aquaman.
- Hawkman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- The Atom (Volume 1): The Atom and Hawkman #39– #46
- Brightest Day
- Convergence: Hawkman
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Hawkgirl (Volume 1)
- Hawkman (Volume 1)
- Hawkman (Volume 2)
- Hawkman (Volume 3)
- Hawkman (Volume 4)
- Hawkman (Volume 5)
- Hawkworld (Volume 1)
- Hawkworld (Volume 2)
- JSA (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 3)
- Mystery in Space (Volume 1): Mystery in Space #87– #91
- The Savage Hawkman
- Shadow War of Hawkman
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- 104 Appearances of Katar Hol (Prime Earth)
- 57 Images featuring Katar Hol (Prime Earth)
- 9 Quotations by or about Katar Hol (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Katar Hol (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.