The Tornado's Path
Battling with yet another death of her husband, Kathy watched over John's lifeless android body at Magnus Labs waiting for his soul to return as it had multiple times before, though this time it was not instantaneous with his body's reassembly. She returned home to Traya fearing she may not see her husband again, but was amazed when he daughter answered the door to John, not as an android, but a real flesh and blood man.
The two experienced one another as they never had before, but Kathy soon woke to find John sneaking out of their apartment dressed as the Red Tornado after hearing from Magnus that his original body had been stolen. She let her husband go, but was far more concerned for his well being now that he inhabited a human body.
In John's absence she jolted awake in a panic. Fearing Traya's safety, she ran to her daughter's room to find her asleep but turned to blast an intruder approaching from behind with her Mega-Rod. Red Tornado's robotic body had been used to house a new version of Amazo who was confused by the flood of John Smith's memories. Hurt and angry by his "wife's" betrayal, Amazo tried to exact revenge on Kathy, but the heroes soon to form the Justice League arrived to take out the threat.
Though Vixen managed to stop Amazo, Kathy and the others had to watch helplessly as Solomon Grundy brutally beat John before he mustered everything he had to sunder Grundy in two. Once the barrier was forced open by Superman and Green Lantern, Kathy ran to her broken husband and cried as he told her to return him to his old body. Despite being disappointed with having such a cruel, fleeting taste of an organic partner, Kathy was still by Reddy's side when he regained consciousness back in his metallic anatomy.
- Mega-Rod: After the death of Sue Dibny, Kathy was given an Apokoliptian mega-rod from Barda for protection.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Kathy and John had an apartment in Manhattan which was 5D.
- She and John would read the cryptic crossword puzzles as a nightly ritual which affirmed the Tornado's humanity by displaying a genuine sense of humour that could not be mimicked by even the most sophisticated AI.
- 42 Appearances of Katherine Sutton (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Katherine Sutton (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Katherine Sutton (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Katherine Sutton (New Earth)