Kay Challis is a woman who developed at least sixty-four unique personalities created from her father's sexual molestation of her as a child, the primary persona being known as Crazy Jane. After Doctor Niles Caulder performed his experiment on her to give each persona a unique metahuman ability, he took her in as a member of the Doom Patrol.
Kay Challis was born in Arkansas in 1950. As a baby, Kay's father wouldn't comfort her when she cried, instead choosing to watch her scream while he smoked cigarettes. 
Kay lived on a farm with her mother and father through her childhood. Her father was a cruel man, often physically and sexually abusing her as a child. Whenever Kay misbehaved in any way, her father would force her to sit in a bucket and be lowered down into the farm's well as a punishment. During one of these times, Kay dropped her favorite stuffed animal Harry, which acted as a traumatizing memory for her in particular.
Eventually, Kay's mind fractured from all the abuse, developing multiple personalities to cope with her lost innocence. The personalities, distinct from one another and inhabiting a construct within Kay's mind called "the Underground", vowed to defend Kay - the original personality and the body they inhabited - by any means necessary.
When Kay was a teenager, her religious mother struggled to understand the psychological damage that had been done to daughter. Interpreting the multiple personalities as a demon inhabiting her daughter, Kay's mother held an exorcism for Kay, having her forcibly dunked in Holy Water over and over by a priest in front of a congregation. It was at this point that Kay retreated into her mind permanently, assigning a new "primary" personality named Miranda.
Miranda faked being exorcised to have the ceremony stop and praised God's goodness. However, afterwards, she confronted her mother, making her hatred for the woman clear and blaming her for enabling the abuse Kay had suffered for years.
With Miranda as the new primary, still living on the family farm, Kay's father once again punished her for looking at a boy flirtatiously in church by putting her back into the well. Miranda, strong and determined, left a note in the well and climbed out, swearing to leave the abuse behind and run away.
Death of Miranda
Years later, in the 1970s, Miranda was a young adult and working as a waitress. She met a young man outside her work one night and, after giving him a few nickels for playing guitar, accepted to go on a date with him. However, when he tried to spontaneously kiss her, she recoiled, having developed an aversion to physical contact from the abuse from her father, though they agreed to take it slow and try the date anyway.
Three years later, Miranda and her boyfriend moved into together, with Miranda having developed a healthy sexual relationship with him. However, her boyfriend felt their relationship had plateaued and secretly organized a swinger party at their new home in the hopes of "moving forward" in their relationship. When Miranda realized what was going on, she was immediately uncomfortable but was pressured to join, justifying that it would help her move forward.
While having sex with her boyfriend's coworker, Miranda had violent flashbacks to being sexually assaulted by Kay's father, prompting her to push the man off of her and retreat to the Underground. Having felt that she failed in keeping Kay - the child - safe, Miranda threw herself into the well within her head, effectively killing the personality.
When Kay's body awoke, a new personality had become the primary - one that was more brazen, outspoken, and rebellious. Though her boyfriend accused her of being crazy, the new personality agreed and punched him in the face, introducing herself as Jane before walking out on him. 
Jane, the new primary, was eventually taken to a mental institution. There, the doctors tried to treat her through a number of means. On secret orders from Niles Caulder, the institution experimented on Jane as part of her "treatment", injecting her with chemicals in an effort to find the correct concoction for immortality. Though Niles' experiment worked and Jane was granted an extended life, all of Kay's 64 other personalities developed super-powers of their own. Now, whenever Jane switched personalities, she was granted the powers of whoever was in control.
Escaping the institution with her new powers, Jane eventually met a man named Doug. One of Kay's personalities - Karen - developed a fixation with Doug and used her new power of mind control to brainwash him into being in a relationship with her. Eventually, Karen was restrained by the other personalities, and Jane disappeared from Doug's life. 
Jane was eventually retrieved by Caulder, not mentioning his connection to her experimentation, and brought her to his residence at Doom Manor with his other projects.
- Longevity: Although Kay was a child at some point in her past, at least since the 1970s she appears to be about the same age and appearance. Jane was born sometime around 1950 but still has the appearance and body of a woman in her late twenties to early thirties.
- Multiple Personalities: Kay Challis has 64 personalities, each with its own unique ability.
- Baby Doll (Telekinesis)
- Black Annis (Enhanced Sense of Smell)
- Crazy Jane
- Dr. Harrison (Mind Control)
- Driller Bill
- Driver 8
- Flit (Teleportation) and (Superhuman Strength)
- Hammerhead (Superhuman Strength)
- Karen (Mind Control): The ability to make people love her, whether it be romantic love or just friendship.
- Flaming Katy (Pyrokinesis and Flight)
- Lucy Fugue (Electrokinesis)
- Penny Farthing
- Scarlet Harlot
- The Secretary (Enhanced Intellect)
- Silver Tongue (Energy Construct Creation): Solid, sharp and moldable silver words and objects
- Sun Daddy (Pyrokinesis and Size Alteration): Become a big sun-woman
- The Hangman's Daughter (Psychic Link)
- The Wall-Crawler (Adhesion)
- Personalities still in "The Underground" (unknown abilities): Bizzie Lizzie Borden; Blood of the Lamb; Bubble; Jack Straw; Jeann; Jill-In-Irons; K-5; Kit W'the Candlestick; Lady Purple; Liza Radley; Mama Pentecost; Merry Andrew; Pretty Polly; Rain Brain; Sex Bomb; Stigmata; The Shapeless Children; The Signalman; The Sin Eater; The Snow Queen; The Weird Sisters; Unknown Girl; Unknown Gladiator (unnamed)
- Painting: The personality The Hangman's Daughter can interact psychically with her paintings. (see Powers above)
- Swordsmanship: The personality Silver Tongue handles a sword she creates.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Mental Illness: Jane struggles greatly with trauma from having been sexually abused as a child.
- Drug Addiction
- Jane's actor Diane Guerrero, in response to a fan asking the official Doom Patrol TV show Twitter account "is jane a lesbian breathe if yes", replied with a video of herself taking a deep breath, implying that, though not confirmed within the show, she herself considers the personality to be homosexual.  
- Jane, as Karen, was briefly engaged to a man named Doug. 
- 25 Appearances of Kay Challis (Doom Patrol TV Series)
- 34 Images featuring Kay Challis (Doom Patrol TV Series)
- 2 Quotations by or about Kay Challis (Doom Patrol TV Series)
- Character Gallery: Kay Challis (Doom Patrol TV Series)
- Doom Patrol (TV Series) Episode: Therapy Patrol
- Doom Patrol (TV Series) Episode: Wax Patrol
- Doom Patrol (TV Series) Episode: Danny Patrol
- Doom Patrol (TV Series) Episode: Paw Patrol
- Doom Patrol (TV Series) Episode: Therapy Patrol
- Doom Patrol TV Series Twitter Account
- 'Doom Patrol': Did Diane Guerrero officially confirm Crazy Jane's sexuality on Twitter?
Doom Patrol member