"The Call": Two criminals named Ned Sawyer and Ron Cassidy flee for their lives down a sewer tunnel in Dakota City. The man they are fleeing is the anti-hero known as Kobalt. The terrified men beg Kobalt not to eat them, but Kobalt responds with, "That depends on you
- Forget it, Clover. I've told you before. I work alone.
- -- Kobalt
Appearing in "The Call"
- Kobalt (First appearance)
- Dudley (Behind the scenes)
- Kirk (Single appearance)
- Ned Sawyer (Only appearance; dies)
- Ron Cassidy (Only appearance; dies)
- St. Cloud (Behind the scenes)
- Mister Page
Synopsis for "The Call"
Two criminals named Ned Sawyer and Ron Cassidy flee for their lives down a sewer tunnel in Dakota City. The man they are fleeing is the anti-hero known as Kobalt. The terrified men beg Kobalt not to eat them, but Kobalt responds with, "That depends on you".
The following day, news of the criminals' deaths begins circulating throughout the Old Downtown establishments. Those who knew the men wonder if Kobalt found their confederate, a criminal named Dudley.
Meanwhile at Ernest Hemingway High School, student Richard Page suffers great torment at the hands of two bullies who steal his copy of Cape and Cowel, a super-hero fanzine. His day worsens when he receives an unfavorable report card.
That evening, Kobalt continues his mission at taking down the city's underworld. He interrogates one thug and learns that location of a money exchange. He arrives at the exchange and fights against several goons armed with automatic weapons. Kobalt finds assistance in the form of his former partner, Clover. He insists that he doesn't need or want her help, but Clover tells him that there is more going on with this particular mob than meets the eye.
Later, Richard's father berates him for his poor grades. He finds a homemade costume in his son's closet and tells him that his fascination with super-heroes has gotten out of hand. After leaving Richard's room, the distraught Mister Page places a secret telephone call to Kobalt. He begs him to teach his son how to be a super-hero.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Kobalt Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Kobalt series
- Images from Kobalt Vol 1 1
- Milestone Media Recommended Reading
- Blood Syndicate (Volume 1)
- Deathwish (Volume 1)
- Heroes (Volume 1)
- Hardware (Volume 1)
- Icon (Volume 1)
- Kobalt (Volume 1)
- Long Hot Summer (Volume 1)
- Milestone Forever (Volume 1)
- My Name is Holocaust (Volume 1)
- Shadow Cabinet (Volume 1)
- Static (Volume 1)
- Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool (Volume 1)
- Wise Son: The White Wolf (Volume 1)
- Xombi (Volume 1)
- "Shadow War"
- "Long Hot Summer"
- "Worlds Collide"
Links and References
- Kobalt at Wikipedia.org
- Kobalt series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Kobalt series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Milestone Media at Wikipedia.org
- Milestone Media at TV Tropes
This comic issue was published by the self-contained Milestone Media imprint of DC Comics, whose primary events took place in the Dakotaverse. This template will automatically categorize this article as an appearance of the Dakotaverse.