Koryak was the son of Aquaman.
Aquaman had a brief bond with the Inuit woman Kako, which resulted in a child. Koryak was raised by his Inuit mother in her remote village in Northern Canada without ever knowing the identity of his father or the truth about his Atlantean heritage. As a teenager, Koryak was introduced to Aquaman. Aquaman was ill prepared for the boy's temper and attitude, which, in many ways, mirrored Aquaman's own personality. Resentful of Aquaman's close relationship with Tempest, the angry, rebellious Koryak eventually took up residence in Atlantis, Aquaman's undersea kingdom. Against his father's express wishes, Koryak led a great migration of Atlanteans out of the capital city Poseidonis and into the tunnels of its sister city Tritonis. There, he unwittingly released the cruel Kordax and embroiled Atlantis in a great war with the God Triton. As a result of his misguided actions, Koryak was banished from Atlantis. He returned in shame to his mother's village.
Later, a young memory-less Atlantean called Narwhal was manipulated by the Deep Church to kill the Dweller-of-the-Depths, so Urlok their god could resurrect. After the funeral of the Dweller-of-the-Depths, Mera accidentally found his killer and thought he looked like someone. Back at the palace she discovered that Koryak's body was stolen, from this she believed that Narwhal was actually Koryak.
Powers and Abilities
- Unique Physiology: Koryak is a Human/Atlantean hybrid, and as such has developed several physical traits common to many Atlanteans.
- Amphibian: Koryak can breathe and function underwater just as easily as he can on land. He can remain underwater indefinitely without any negative side effects.
- Superhuman Strength: Koryak displays considerable strength, even for someone of Atlantean heritage.
- Superhuman Durability: Koryak's skin and muscle tissue is extra dense, enabling him to function in the deepest depths of the ocean.
- Hydrokinesis: Koryak possesses the ability to increase the density of water within his immediate vicinity for a wide variety of effects. This ability allows him to create "hard water" objects, reshaping volumes of water into simple geometric shapes.
- Water Spear: Koryak's primary application of his ability to create "hard water" objects is to project a spear of hard water that starts from his forehead and has severe destructive power.
- Diving: Koryak is skilled in the art of diving, though he has never received any professional training.
- Swimming: Swimming comes naturally to Koryak, and he can swim with Olympic-level speed and agility.
- Leadership: Koryak was able to temporarily gather the people of Poseidonis under his leadership, including Vulko.
- 56 Appearances of Koryak (New Earth)
- 19 Images featuring Koryak (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Koryak (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Koryak (New Earth)
|Aquaman Family member|
This character is or was an ally of Aquaman, and a member of the Aqua-Family and/or its supporting cast. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Aquaman Supporting Cast" category. See also: Aquaman Villains.