Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
La Sangre was born in 1854 to a crewman on a ship to Africa that the immortal former-criminal the Shade had boarded. The ship was attacked mid-trip by a crew of vampire pirates who killed everyone on board and bit the infant girl that would grow up to be La Sangre. The Shade, finding everyone on his boat slaughter, wasted no time killing all the vampires. Finding the girl with a bite in her stomach, the Shade attempted to suck out the vampire poison like a snake bite. Though his selfless act saved her from a worse experience, the baby still became a vampire.
The girl grew up, treating the Shade as her father, and stopped aging when she was a teenager. Living into the 21st Century, the girl adopted the name "La Sangre" and fought crime in Barcelona with her vampire powers for ages. Because she was a vampire, La Sangre became an enemy of another one of Barcelona's vigilantes named the Inquisitor.
Powers and Abilities
- Vampirism: In addition to the various mental and physical benefits that vampires are heir to, they also possess the ability to turn others into vampires as well. Each new vampire is traditionally subservient to the one who "turned" them, but some strong-willed vampires have been known to rebel against their masters.
- Enhanced Senses: A vampire's senses are enhanced far beyond those of a normal human being.
- Immortality: So long as vampires continue to consume blood, they will not age beyond the physical state they were in when they first became a vampire.
- Invulnerability: Vampires are invulnerable to most forms of injury (certain exceptions apply). Bullets, blades and blunt objects do little to no damage to a vampire's body.
- Regeneration: In addition to being virtually indestructible, whatever damage a vampire does in fact suffer can be healed through the consumption of human blood.
- Superhuman Strength: A vampire's strength level is several times that of a normal human being and they are considered superhuman.
- Superhuman Stamina: So long as they continue to consume human blood, a vampire can function tirelessly without rest or relaxation. However, a vampire's stamina wanes the closer it is to sunrise.
- Psychokinesis: Most vampires possess some form of psychokinesis. Some are clairvoyant, others can communicate telepathically, some possess mind control. Particularly powerful vampires can control the minds of several people at once.
- Transformation: Vampires often possess the ability to transform into a variety of creatures or effects such as bats, wolves, rats or even mist. While their physical attributes may fluctuate during such states, a vampire's mental acuity is the same as that when they are in their human shape. A vampire who transforms into an animal may also benefit from that particular animal's attributes including razor-sharp claws, fangs or the ability to fly.
- Metamorphosis: Vampires often demonstrate the ability to alter their appearance at will.
- Vulnerability to Sunlight: La Sangre, like many other vampires, is sensitive to sunlight, though she claims she's only in real danger on really sunny days.
- La Sangre was created by James Robinson and Javier Pulido, first appearing in Superman #689. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, La Sangre first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in The Shade (Volume 2) #5 by James Robinson and Javier Pulido.
- 3 Appearances of La Sangre (Prime Earth)
- 5 Images featuring La Sangre (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about La Sangre (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: La Sangre (Prime Earth)