Lana Lang was born and raised on a farm in the midwestern Kansas town of Smallville. During her teenage years, she met her next-door neighbor, Clark Kent, and developed an instant infatuation with him. Her interest in Clark was matched only by her affection towards the local super-hero, Superboy. Lana spent a large portion of her high school years obsessing over Superboy, and she labored intensively to discover his secret identity. One day Lana rescued an insect-like alien trapped by a fallen tree in Smallville. In gratitude, the alien gave her a Bio-Genetic Ring which allowed Lana to gain insect (and insect-like, such as arachnids) characteristics.
After being given a Bio-Genetic Ring by the aliens, Lana created a yellow honeybee-like costume and mask and adopted the codename Insect Queen who occasionally appeared as the crime-fighter. She had various adventures with Superboy and became a reserve member of the Legion of Super-Heroes. By the time she left Smallville to enter college, she had yet to learn Superboy's greatest secret. She would later become a rival of Lois Lane for the affection of Superman, and co-anchor the WGBS-TV newscasts with Clark Kent. Lana's affection for Superman began to drift away and became romantically linked to the alien super-hero Vartox. Lana and Clark Kent became romantically involved in stories prior to the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Lana Lang does not possess any inherent super-powers. However, with the Bio-Genetic ring she possesses these superhuman abilities: Flight, Superhuman Strength, Superhuman Speed, Superhuman Agility and heightened senses.
- Metamorphosis: As the Insect Queen, Lana possessed the ability to shapeshift into any arthropod lifeform, including insects from alien worlds.
- Journalism: Lana Lang is a professional media journalist and television celebrity. Despite her keen intuitive instincts however, she never discovered the secret behind Superman's true identity.
Bio-Genetic Ring (which transforms her into the Insect Queen).
- This version of Lana Lang, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Although the general populace of Earth is aware of Lana's contributions to the Daily Planet, they are not privy to the fact that she was once the Insect Queen.
- Lana's genealogy is revealed in Superboy #146:
- Like many characters among Superman's supporting cast, Lana's name is an alliteration. Other characters sharing the double "L" intials include: Lex Luthor, Lewis Lang; Lois Lane, Lori Lemaris, Lucy Lane and Lena Luthor.
- As an adult, Lana had a penchant for referring to others as "Luv".
- 490 Appearances of Lana Lang (Earth-One)
- 11 Images featuring Lana Lang (Earth-One)
- 4 Quotations by or about Lana Lang (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Lana Lang (Earth-One)