One day Lana was given an amulet from her archaeologist father, however, she was unaware of the mystical properties the amulet possessed. Later, she became an Insect Queen like her Earth-One counterpart; in this case, it was through the mystic amulet that she received from her father. The amulet having been created to allow a Pharaoh to control and divert the locust hordes that threatened ancient Egypt. Unfortunately, the charm associated with the amulet was set to be energized by the sound of approaching insect wings; by unfortunate coincidence, the sound of Superman's super-speed flying was similar enough to activate the spell, thus giving Lana powers over insects. Lana was then compelled to create a Chitinous golden-brown costume (woven by giant silkworms under her control) and adopt a villainous alter ego, the Insect Queen. Lana would soon clash with Superman and after their battle, the Insect Queen fell under the mental influence of Superman's enemy, the Ultra-Humanite, who kept her under the spell's compulsion and prevented her from reverting to normal. Superman was able to locate an antidote to the spell, which Lois Lane used to remove the compulsion, letting Lana break free of Ultra's influence and making her able to use the amulet's power at her own discretion. Lana felt more confident after she regained complete control over the amulet and it's powers, that she even decided to continue using the Insect Queen alias and use her powers for the greater good, to help people and save lives. Lana would also use her abilities to aid Superman in times of need.
- Artistry (fashion designer): She created her own outfit by controlling giant silkworms.
- Journalism: Television critic.
- Equestrianism: She can ride giant insects.
- Charmed Scarab Amulet: The amulet can mystically increase the size of insects and control them (exclusively insects; it is inoperable on non-insects such as spiders, scorpions and centipedes). Controlled insects are considered as magic ones, and Superman is vulnerable to them. When witnessing the sound from clouds of insects (or the flying Superman), the brooch activated the alter ego of Insect Queen in Lana Lang, and her personality was changed to bad, and she wanted to destroy Superman, forgetting everything and returning to her persona of Lana after certain time. However she has been cured of this condition and can wear the brooch normally without losing her personality.
She rides giant flying insects.
- Lana Lang originally appeared in Earth-One continuity in Superboy #10 by Bill Finger and John Sikela. She was introduced in Earth-Two continuity in Superman Family #203 by E. Nelson Bridwell and George Tuska.
- Her first appearance as Insect Queen was Superman Family #213.
- This version of Insect Queen, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 10 Appearances of Lana Lang (Earth-Two)
- 2 Images featuring Lana Lang (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Lana Lang (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Lana Lang (Earth-Two)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
This article is using a sub-standard image. The image is too small, of poor quality, bears a watermark or violates copyright law. You can help the DC Database Project by replacing the offending image with a higher quality scan.