Lara was genetically matched to Zeta-Rho, as was typical on Krypton. She met and fell in love with Jor-El and quickly left Zeta. Zeta-Rho used Lara's genetic material to create a son, Tal-Rho. Lara attempted to reach Tal, but Zeta refused to allow her to ever see him. Tal-Rho never met his mother and grew up believing she did not love him.
Lara became pregnant with her and Jor-El's son Kal-El, the first child be born naturally on Krypton in centuries. When Jor-El realised Krypton would be destroyed, Lara built a device called the Eradicator to store the consciousnesses of Krypton’s people. Tal-Rho stole the Eradicator and Lara’s Sunstone and fled to Earth, where he used the Eradicator and X-Kryptonite to transform humans into hosts for dead Kryptonians.
Jor-El and Lara had only enough time to together to create one rocket large enough for their son Kal-El, who they sent to earth where he was discovered by Jonathan and Martha Kent in Smallville, Kansas; this boy would grow up to become the great American super-hero known as Superman.
Years later, Lara’s consciousness would be resurrected in the body of Lana Lang. Lara modified the Eradicator to reverse Tal-Rho’s process, and also took the opportunity to speak to Kal-El, telling him he was happy he had found a new home and family. Kal-El used the modified Eradicator to restore the Subjekts to normal, and Lara’s consciousness was removed from Lana’s body.
When Kal-El began suffering mysterious seizures; he, Tal and Lara's grandson Jordan went to Tal-Rho's Fortress to run tests on him to determine the cause. Tal used Lara's Sunstone to create a hologram of her to perform the scans. The hologram was initially happy to discover that both her sons were alive and together but they revealed that they were enemies. She also learned that Tal-Rho hated her for abandoning him to Zeta's abuse, she tried to tell him that zeta created him without her knowledge and prevented her from being with him, but he refused to believe her.
While Lara was performing the necessary scans on Kal-El he experienced another attack. Tal-Rho took the opportunity to attack him and Jordan, almost choking the boy to death. Lara begged him to stop, telling him she believed there was good in him, but after a moment's hesitation he ignored her and continue to choke Jordan until Kal-El recovered and stopped him.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, The average Kryptonian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of their super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Their biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and their bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kryptonians can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. Typically, the power is seen as two beams of red light emanating from the eyes. These beams can be made invisible, allowing the power to be undetectable. The maximum temperature of their heat vision is said to be around that of a nuclear detonation. They can also consciously determine the area affected, down to the microscopic level.
- Super-Hearing: Kryptonian hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill, practice, and concentration, they can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency. As such, they can identify a person by their heartbeat, or pick out a single voice in an entire city.
- Enhanced Vision: Kryptonian vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kryptonians can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. They can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, they can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows them to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kryptonians can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. They can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kryptonians can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kryptonians are able to manipulate graviton particles, in an unknown and apparently unconscious manner, to defy the forces of gravity. Under one Earth gravity, they are capable of speeds of multi-Mach speeds in Earth's atmosphere. Their control of their flight is very precise and they can perform aerobatic feats such as hovering, flying backwards and even lifting great weights while flying.
- Invulnerability: The bodies of Kryptonians are nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, their immune systems protects them from toxins and diseases. The most common explanations for this rely on the presences of a super-dense molecular structure, a supercharged bio-electric aura which acts as an invisible force field, or a combination of the two. A byproduct of the aura is that items close to the skin share their invulnerability. Using clothing as an example, loose fitting fabric would tend to shred or burn in adverse conditions, but skin tight outfits would not.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kryptonians have the ability to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. In theory they have unlimited stamina as their enhanced nourishment is produced from the yellow solar energy their cells process, which also provides the majority of the power for their superhuman abilities. However, their base physical structures do need to process food stuffs and they have a psychological need to eat and drink just as Earth humans do. They also require sleep on occasion so that they can dream. They can also hold their breath for an indefinite period of time.
- Superhuman Strength: A Kryptonian develops enhanced physical strength after absorbing a sufficient amount of yellow solar radiation. This radiation interacts with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of their musculature to trigger superhuman levels. While the exact magnitude of their strength is unknown, it is generally accepted that it is sufficient to lift 100,000 tons or more. The specific range is unknown as a their strength, like their other powers, may fluctuate over time. Their strength is also more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables them to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass. At full power, their normal strength levels are well into the multi-megaton range.
- Superhuman Speed: Kryptonians are able to move at incredible speeds by sheer force of will. They can match most other speedsters in super-fast movements, reactions, and processes. They can use this power to disarm opponents without heightened reflexes, catch bullets or shrapnel or cross vast distances in seconds.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kryptonians are able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from their lungs. They can chill the air as it leaves their lungs to freeze targets in a variation sometimes called "freeze" or "arctic breath". They can also reverse the process and pull large volumes of air or vapor into their lungs.
- Longevity: Kryptonians can live longer than regular humans, remaining at their prime as long as they was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Vulnerability to Magic
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Supergirl and is an adaptation of Lara. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Superman #53.
- Lara Lor-Van was portrayed by Ana Franchesca Rousseau. While possessing Lana Lang, she was portrayed by Emmanuelle Chriqui.
- 3 Appearances of Lara Lor-Van (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
- 1 Images featuring Lara Lor-Van (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
- Quotations by or about Lara Lor-Van (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
- Character Gallery: Lara Lor-Van (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
Superman Family member