She and her cousin Eltro Gand are descended from Del Gand, the older brother of 20th Century hero Valor. As a Daxamite, she gains superhuman powers and abilities from being near a yellow sun, rendering her a vastly above average combatant. Laurel first appeared as a side effect of the time-altering Glorith recreating the universe in her own image. Laurel's parents' names were Lauren Gand and Zavrel Kama.
As a child, Laurel lived with her parents on one of the orbiting space stations that, among other things, served as a line of defense against invasion. Her mother, the station commander, insisted that Laurel know how to operate the station's weapons, training that proved critical when the Khunds attacked. Laurel was able to activate the defenses, utterly destroying the Khundian fleet and earning her both their fear and their enmity. She was declared an enemy of the Khundish empire. To ensure her safety, she was given a secret identity and sent to Earth where her Daxamite physiology would help protect her. Shortly afterward, she was invited to join the fledgling Legion of Super-Heroes.
Laurel's career in the Legion was long-lived and successful, and during her tenure, she even began a relationship with and eventually married long-time Legion ally Rond Vidar. The two of them had a daughter, whom they named Lauren. After sustaining massive injuries from a battle against Khunds, she died, and was buried along with all of the other dead Legionnaires on Shanghalla. A doppelganger of hers survived and was a member of the Legionnaires. Shortly afterward, both were erased from history entirely due to Parallax altering the timeline.
Powers and Abilities
- Daxamite Physiology: In a solar system with a "yellow" sun, the average Daxamite possesses powers similar to those of a Kryptonian:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of their super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Their biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and their bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Daxamites can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. Typically, the power is seen as two beams of red light emanating from the eyes. These beams can be made invisible, allowing the power to be undetectable. The maximum temperature of their heat vision is said to be around that of a nuclear detonation. They can also consciously determine the area affected, down to the microscopic level.
- Super-Hearing: Daxamite hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill, practice, and concentration, they can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency. As such, they can identify a person by their heartbeat, or pick out a single voice in an entire city.
- Enhanced Vision: Daxamite vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Daxamite can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. They can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, they can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows them to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Daxamites can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. They can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Daxamites can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Daxamites are able to manipulate graviton particles, in an unknown and apparently unconscious manner, to defy the forces of gravity. Under one Earth gravity, they are capable of speeds of multi-Mach speeds in Earth's atmosphere. Their control of their flight is very precise and they can perform aerobatic feats such as hovering, flying backwards and even lifting great weights while flying.
- Invulnerability: The bodies of Daxamites are nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, their immune systems protects them from toxins and diseases. The most common explanations for this rely on the presences of a super-dense molecular structure, a supercharged bio-electric aura which acts as an invisible force field, or a combination of the two. A byproduct of the aura is that items close to the skin share their invulnerability. Using clothing as an example, loose fitting fabric would tend to shred or burn in adverse conditions, but skin tight outfits would not.
- Superhuman Stamina: Daxamites have the ability to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. In theory they have unlimited stamina as their enhanced nourishment is produced from the yellow solar energy their cells process, which also provides the majority of the power for their superhuman abilities. However, their base physical structures do need to process food stuffs and they have a psychological need to eat and drink just as Earth humans do. They also require sleep on occasion so that they can dream. They can also hold their breath for an indefinite period of time.
- Superhuman Strength: A Daxamite develops enhanced physical strength after absorbing a sufficient amount of yellow solar radiation. This radiation interacts with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of their musculature to trigger superhuman levels. While the exact magnitude of their strength is unknown, it is generally accepted that it is sufficient to lift 100,000 tons or more. The specific range is unknown as a their strength, like their other powers, may fluctuate over time. Their strength is also more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables them to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass. At full power, their normal strength levels are well into the multi-megaton range.
- Superhuman Speed: Daxamites are able to move at incredible speeds by sheer force of will. They can match most other speedsters in super-fast movements, reactions, and processes. They can use this power to disarm opponents without heightened reflexes, catch bullets or shrapnel or cross vast distances in seconds.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Daxamites are able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from their lungs. They can chill the air as it leaves their lungs to freeze targets in a variation sometimes called "freeze" or "arctic breath". They can also reverse the process and pull large volumes of air or vapor into their lungs.
- Longevity: Daxamites can live longer than regular humans, remaining at their prime as long as they was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
Vulnerability to Lead: A Daxamite's major weakness is a vulnerability to lead, which does not exist on their planet. Any exposure to lead causes pain and weakness permanently, even after she is taken to safety. Her vision cannot melt or penetrate lead.
- Legion Flight Ring: All Legionnaires are provided with a flight ring that enabled them to sustain movement through the air by manipulating gravity.
- Legion Flight Belt: Prior to the creation of the anti-gravity metal of which the Rings are made, the Legion used Flight Belts.
- In the Glorithverse continuity, Andromeda essentially replaced Supergirl in continuity. Wherever Supergirl had made an appearance, now Laurel was there instead. She was erased from history following Zero Hour.
- In 2007, the original incarnation of the Legion of Super-Heroes reappeared during The Lightning Saga. Laurel is not a member of this group, as they branched off around the Crisis on Infinite Earths, before her creation.
- Andromeda made a last appearance during Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds when Saturn Girl summoned Legionnaires from every possible timeline to take down the Time Trapper.
- Legion of Super-Heroes Recommended Reading
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 2)
- The Legion (Volume 1)
- Legion Lost (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 3)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 5)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 6)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 7)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 8)
- Legionnaires (Volume 1)
- Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 44 Appearances of Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 3 Images featuring Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 1 Quotations by or about Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Character Gallery: Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
Legion of Super-Heroes member