Former special effects artist Larry Bolatinsky became an assassin and criminal for-hire after designing a suit giving him the ability to teleport and fire energy blasts, calling himself Bolt.
He has been a member of the Suicide Squad, Killer Elite, The Society and the Injustice League. He would later be killed by his son, Terry Bolatinsky, who took up his supervillain legacy underneath the name "Dreadbolt" as a member of the Terror Titans. Clock King required that Terry kill his father as a rite of passage, and Terry teleported Bolt halfway through a wall.
Bolt first appears in the Post-Crisis New Earth during the Identity Crisis storyline. Bolt arranged a deal with two young thugs Benny Addison and Travonn "Trey" Williams where he would purchase a Lex Luthor Wasuit from them, which is being housed in a crate. However, Bolt has no intention of paying them for the warsuit and intends to steal it from them. Bolt sits nearby the meeting location in a parked car and talks on the phone with the Calculator, paying him for information about the thugs and whatever heroes may be nearby. Calculator informs Bolt of their identities, and says that there is an 18% chance that they are armed. Calculator also informs him that the Elongated Man Ralph Dibny and Firehawk are nearby.
Bolt decides to strike and teleports to the alley in front of the thugs in order to steal the warsuit. They angrily demand their money when they see him, and Bolt decides to brazenly tell them he plans on robbing them. Bolt's arrogant overconfidence in revealing his hand would be his undoing, as they actually were armed. They immediately pull out their guns and preemptively shoot him down. Bolt is heavily injured with numerous bullet wounds, and Benny panics and flees while calling for Trey to do the same, but Trey's conscience gets the better of him as Bolt desperately pleads for him to call an ambulance. Trey calls one, and assures Bolt that he will be fine. Trey then flees the scene with Bolt. Meanwhile, Dibny receives a call for help from his wife Sue who is being attacked at home, and as such cannot intervene to aid Bolt or apprehend the two thugs as he has Firehawk fly him home.
Bolt survives his bullet wounds after being treated at St. John's Hospital in Opal City, but is still severely injured and bedridden. Bolt is visited by the Electrocutioner after the latter kills the hospital staff outside, and Bolt tells him where to find the thugs who shot him so that the Electrocutioner can give Lex Luthor back his warsuit.
Powers and Abilities
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Lawrence Bolatinsky's last name was revealed on his memorial vault placard at the JLA Hall of Justice in Blackest Night #3.
- Bolt has been known to keep his money in multiple bank accounts around the world. One of these, in Antigua, was "clipped" by the D.E.O. in 2004. Another, in Latvia, was drained of its funds in order to buy information from the Calculator.
- 74 Appearances of Lawrence Bolatinsky (New Earth)
- 13 Images featuring Lawrence Bolatinsky (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Lawrence Bolatinsky (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Lawrence Bolatinsky (New Earth)
Secret Society of Super-Villains member
Suicide Squad member
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."