"Some Deep, Organizing Power...": May 4th, 1891
- Strange. He thought me... an enemy... of the state... never reasoning... that it might suit the state... to create... its own enemy. Shadowboxing, Bond. We're all just... shadowboxing.
Appearing in "Some Deep, Organizing Power..."
- Sherlock Holmes (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- Campion Bond
- Colonel Moran (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
- James Moriarty (Flashback and main story)
- Fu Manchu (Behind the scenes)
Synopsis for "Some Deep, Organizing Power..."
May 4th, 1891
Eight years ago at Reichenbach falls in Switzerland, Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty have their final confrontation. Holmes quickly jots down a message to John Watson before engaging Moriarty. The two fight and Moriarty falls down into the falls. He miraculously survives however and Holmes escapes by scaling the cliff side. It is believed by the world however, that Holmes dies at this time.
Hawley Griffin murders a constable and steals his clothes and nightstick. He spies on Campion Bond's office and overhears him speaking with Moriarty. They plan to use their own Cavorite powered airship to bomb East London.
Hawley races back and tells the others on board the Nautilus. They are currently docked in Wapping, very near to the airship's target area.
Outside, Moriarty's own personal war craft hovers overhead. It begins unleashing ray beams of destruction down on London's East End.
Appearing in "Allan and the Sundered Veil (Part V) - The Glint in Fortune's Eye"
- Lloigor (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Allan and the Sundered Veil (Part V) - The Glint in Fortune's Eye"
At Lady Ragnall's mansion, Marisa vainly tries to protect the body of Allan Quatermain who has fallen into a state of torpor. Allan's consciousness exists on an existential plane along with Randolph Carter, John Carter and the Time Traveler. They sit atop a gigantic gemstone the surface of which reveals images of the past, present and future. Allan sees the visage of his own comatose body back at the Ragnall estate, with Marisa looking on in horror. Slowly, Randolph, John and even Allan begin to disappear from this alternate plane of existence to return to their own time. When Allan's body awakens, he is possessed by an infectious, alien presence. Crawling like a crab and growling like a beast, he approaches Marisa in a threatening manner.
- First appearance of Sherlock Holmes in this title.
- Behind the scenes flashback appearance of John Watson.
- Behind the scenes appearance by Fu Manchu.
- The opening flashback sequence is a liberal adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novel, "The Final Problem". In the original story, Sherlock Holmes dies. Doyle resurrected the character years later in "The Adventure of the Empty House".
- Allan experiences visions of events that will transpire in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume 1) #6.
- There are also visions of the Martian invasion which is chronicled in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume 2).
- There is also a third vision involving a distraught woman facing off against some Lovecraftian era creatures. This was likely intended to be a foreshadowing of a third volume of the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen but as of this writing, such a series has not been published.
- The entity that takes possession of Allan Quatermain in "Allan and the Sundered Veil" is not identified as a Lloigor until issue #6.
- The title of this issue, "Some Deep, Organizing Power...", was originally a line of dialogue spoken by Holmes in "The Final Problem" wherein he described the personality and actions of Professor Moriarty before ever actually meeting him.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 5 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series
- Images from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 5
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume 1)
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume 2)
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier
- Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1
- A Blazing World: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2