"The Scream Heard 'Cross the Universe": Earth-Man is held in Science Police custody, where they drain his powers with a machine. It's explained that powerful xenophobes in Earthgov have pulled strings to make him a member of the [[Legion of Super-Heroes
- Why are governments always so stupid?
- — Sun Boy
Synopsis for "The Scream Heard 'Cross the Universe"
Earth-Man is held in Science Police custody, where they drain his powers with a machine. It's explained that powerful xenophobes in Earthgov have pulled strings to make him a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes. The Legion was given an ultimatum, and told they must accept Earth-Man as a member if they want to keep their headquarters on Earth. Cosmic Boy and Ultra Boy burst into SP headquarters to argue about it with Gigi Cusimano.
Saturn Girl returns to Titan and meets with her former teacher Doctor Aven. Aven gives her access to her old private chambers, where she anguishes about Lightning Lad being gone. Titan is now home to the Time Institute, who moved away from Earth due to xenophobia.
The Legionnaires debate letting Earth-Man into their ranks, and try to find a compromise. Cosmic Boy has Brainiac 5 figure out a way to keep him in line. They design a specialized Flight Ring to keep him in check. Earth-Man continues to hate the Legion, and is unsure of whether or not he should accept their conditions.
In the Time Institute, they've developed a time-viewer that allows them to look at any period in history they want to. Harmonia Li suggests they look at Flashpoint. Her co-workers Adjapu and Usalus want to look at the Big Bang, but Harmonia warns them this is dangerous. They ignore her, and viewing the origin of the universe creates a huge destructive force. The building is destroyed, and the explosion also damages Titan's life support systems.
Sodam Yat on Oa notices that the Big Bang has been viewed again. This activates an ancient protocol designed by the Guardians, and releases a being known as Dyogene. Dyogene declares that he will appoint a new Green Lantern in the absence of Mogo, and takes Yat's ring.
Titan is doomed with their life-force deactivated. The Legion attempt to evacuate as many people as they can. Saturn Girl searches for her children Garridan and Graym, but they're teleported away when she finds them. Saturn Girl visits the ruins of the Time Institute and finds Harmonia the only survivor. They suspect that her children were taken by a time-transport beam, and Saturn Girl takes a Time Sphere to find them. The Legion evacuates and Titan explodes. Their telepathic death cries are heard throughout the entire universe.
Back on Earth, Dyogene appears at Science Police headquarters. It knocks out several officers, and releases Earth-Man. Dyogene tells Earth-Man that he is now chosen to become the Green Lantern of Sector 2814.
Appearing in "The Scream Heard 'Cross the Universe"
- Legion of Super-Heroes
- Garridan Ranzz
- Gigi Cusimano
- Graym Ranzz
- Green Lantern Corps
- Harmonia Li (First appearance)
- Preem Aven (First appearance)
- Earth-Man (First appearance as Green Lantern)
- Adjapu (Only appearance; dies)
- Anti-Monitor (hand)
- Blok (Cameo)
- Bouncing Boy (Cameo)
- Coluans (Cameo)
- Ferro Lad (statue)
- Invisible Kid (statue)
- Karate Kid (statue)
- Lightning Lad (On a TV or computer screen)
- Lightning Lord (Cameo)
- Polar Boy (Cameo)
- Science Police
- Mike (Single appearance)
- Superman (On a TV or computer screen)
- Una (Cameo)
- Usalus (Only appearance; dies)
- White Witch (Cameo)
- 3010 A.D.
- Big Bang
- This issue is reprinted in the collected edition Legion of Super-Heroes: The Choice.
- Interlac is used on several pages in this issue. There is apparently an epidemic of illiteracy in the 31st Century. When Saturn Girl approaches Aven, two signs that say "Acacdemt" and "Time Institue."
- The scientists in the Time Institute mention several events in their past that haven't happened in the present yet. They mention Flashpoint, the Great Intervention, and the Revelation. The "Great Mystery in A.D. 33" is likely a reference to Jesus Christ. Harmonia says that they know Flashpoint happened in 2011, and they know very well how it ended, but nobody is sure how it began.
- Earth-Man was arrested during Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes.
- This is the first appearance of Doctor Aven in the Original Legion timeline. Micah Aven was originally introduced as a character in Reboot Legion continuity.
- Harmonia Li mentions the death of Rond Vidar. This happened during Legion of 3 Worlds.
- Saturn Girl mentions that Lightning Lad has gone on a search for his brother Mekt's lost twin. This happened during Long Live the Legion.
- Brainiac 5 mentions an old rhyme about a "one ring," which Colossal Boy replies is from an old children's story. They are of course talking about The Lord of the Rings.
- There are several statues of dead Legionnaires. These include Ferro Lad, Invisible Kid, and Karate Kid.
- The Time Institute scientists attempt to view the Big Bang, and Harmonia Li warns them that this is highly dangerous. The Big Bang was first viewed by Krona, whose experiments also released a highly destructive force into the universe. The hand he saw was later revealed to be the Anti-Monitor, who traveled backwards in time during the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
- Brainiac 5 mentions an ancient analytic by Maslow. He is referring to Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
- The destruction of Mogo is mentioned by Dyogene, having occurred centuries earlier. This happens a year later in publication during the War of the Green Lanterns.
- Legion of Super-Heroes Recommended Reading
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 2)
- The Legion (Volume 1)
- Legion Lost (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 3)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 5)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 6)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 7)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 8)
- Legionnaires (Volume 1)
- Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)