Leroy Johnson lived during the mid-late 1700s. As a young man, he desperately wanted to become a soldier and join in the fight for American indepedence. His short stature however, made such prospects unlikely, so he became a volunteer revolutionary and served alongside Tomahawk as a member of Tomahawk's Rangers. Wearing a large stovepipe hat to make him appear taller, he became known by the nickname "Stovepipe". Although he was not a particularly strong fighter, Stovepipe was very agile and proved a valuable asset to the Rangers. He would often hide tools and small weapons inside his hat such as rope, knives, mirrors and revolvers.
After the war, Stovepipe became a tax collector in Gotham Town and later a traveling salesman, often administering medical care to the infirm.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- The British spy Lord Shilling once impersonated Stovepipe in order to bait Tomahawk into a trap.
- 38 Appearances of Leroy Johnson (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Leroy Johnson (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Leroy Johnson (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Leroy Johnson (New Earth)