Lex Luthor was a wealthy and unscrupulous business magnate who ran LexCorp and owned much of Metropolis. He was a sworn enemy of its protector, Superman, frequently plotting against him, and after he lost his company, became a criminal mastermind who lead the Legion of Doom against the Justice League.
Born in poverty in the Suicide Slums, Lex's biggest dream was that all Metropolis would look up to him. As his business empire grew and grew, and his goals were getting closer, Superman arrived, and stole his thunder.
From that point, Luthor wasted no expense to destroy Superman. He also invested heavily in Superman's enemies - Metallo, Livewire and Sergeant Mills. His backstabbing antics caused few people to remain loyal to him. Several - including John Henry Irons - resigned. Only Mercy Graves stayed at his side.
After unsuccessfully battling the Justice League, Luthor was exposed as a criminal and locked away. Mercy took over as CEO of LexCorp, while Luthor teamed up with other villains in an attempt to defeat the Justice League.
Luthor was redeemed after he helped in the defeat of the Justice Lords. He received a full pardon, and dedicated himself to politics and charity. However, he also funded Project Cadmus, and was still bent on destroying Superman's career. He tarnished the reputation of the Justice League successfully twice - first by pitting Captain Marvel against the Man of Steel, and later by firing the Watchtower's fusion weapon at a Cadmus facility in Covenant, New Mexico. After being exposed by Batman and Amanda Waller, Brainiac revealed himself inside Luthor. In the fight that ensued, Flash managed to separate Luthor and Brainiac. The event severely damaged Luthor's sanity.
After escaping jail, Luthor teamed up with Grodd for a large Legion of Doom. Bent on resurrecting Brainiac, he eventually overthrew the gorilla, and set cource towards Apokolips. There, a version of Brainiac had been destroyed years earlier. Tapping into Tala's magic to resurrect Brainiac, he was surprised to find she had resurrected Darkseid instead. The Lord of Apokolips desired killing Superman even more than Luthor, so Luthor came to warn the Justice League and fought Darkseid together with Batman and Superman.
With the help of Metron, Luthor slipped away from the battle to recover the Anti-Life Equation after threatening Metron. He was somehow able to get the Equation though Metron said a twelfth-level intellect was needed for this, implying traces of Brainiac were left in him. He bargained with Darkseid to save the Earth, and was seemingly destroyed with Darkseid as he was absorbed by the Equation.
- Genius Level Intellect
- Business Management: Lex ran a false campaign for the presidency and spent millions of dollars just to gain more political and monetary power.
- Eidetic Memory
- Electrical Engineering: Based on stolen CADMUS property, Lex Luthor developed technology to take control of the Justice League Watchtower's Binary Fusion Generator orbital cannon and force it to fire at Earth.
- Kryptonite: Luthor carried a brick of kryptonite with him at all times; this eventually gave him cancer.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of Luthor. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Superman #4.
- Lex Luthor was voiced by Clancy Brown. During "The Great Brain Robbery", while Luthor's mind was in the Flash's body, the character was voiced by Michael Rosenbaum.
- Lex Luthor had varying levels of superhuman abilities after being exposed to Kryptonite and bonding with Brainiac.
- 99 Appearances of Lex Luthor (DCAU)
- 10 Images featuring Lex Luthor (DCAU)
- 7 Quotations by or about Lex Luthor (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: Lex Luthor (DCAU)
Legion of Doom member
Secret Society of Super-Villains member
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."
|Steel Villain(s) |
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."