Lightning was a synthetic lifeform created by the criminal scientist Whirlicane.
Lightning was in effect two personalities; the electrically powered Lightning could transform at will into the monstrous, super strong Thunder! Lightning, however, was unaware of his own true nature, believing that he had been a petty criminal who Whirlicane had rescued from a life of obscurity and given super powers. Whirlicane sent Lightning/Thunder to attack his former employers, S.T.A.R. Labs, but Superman stopped his rampage and tracked him back to Whirlicane's lab. There, he revealed to Lightning that he was actually no more than a sophisticated robot by exposing the circuitry in his arm. Unable to cope with this revelation, Lightning went berserk, unleashing his full power in one burst and destroying both himself and the lab, as well as apparently killing Whirlicane.
Powers and Abilities
- Electrokinesis: As Lightning; able to generate and control electricity.
- Sound Manipulation: As Thunder; able to generate sonic booms from his hands.
- This version of Lightning, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- The character Thunder is not to be confused with the Teen Titans villain Thunder (Gan Williams) of the same name, or with Thunder Thunder (CeCe Beck) or Thunder (Anissa Pierce).
- The character Lightning is not to be confused with the Teen Titans villain Lightning (Tavis Williams) of the same name.
- 1 Appearances of Lightning (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Lightning (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Lightning (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Lightning (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."