He was not respected by the town of Smallville, and took this out on his "bookworm" son. When Lex was in his final year of high school, Lionel was the victim of a series of unusual and near-fatal accidents, which resulted in his being saved by the mysterious "Super-Boy" that haunted the town in those days.
This came to a head when his underlying heart condition was activated by an allergic reaction to medication. Upon his death, Lex Luthor took the insurance money on his father's claim and absconded.
- Alcoholism: In the final years of his life, Luthor was an alcoholic.
- Medication Allergy
- Heart Condition: Lionel had a heart condition that, when compounded with his allergy to a certain medication, ultimately killed him.
- Black Lantern Ring (Formerly)
- 8 Appearances of Lionel Luthor (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Lionel Luthor (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Lionel Luthor (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Lionel Luthor (New Earth)
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."