Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
He was conceived and born in the Phantom Zone. He and his mother were freed from the Phantom Zone when Lor was around the age of 10 by his father using the Phantom Zone Projector when Zod and Eradicator, assisted by their former allies the Superman Revenge Squad, attacked Superman in the Fortress of Solitude.
Lor-Zod and his parents fled Earth and took up refuge on the planet Jekuul which boasted 2 yellow suns. The native population revered the House of Zod as gods and so the family took over the planet naming it New Krypton.
Lor's father began constructing a new civilization on New Krypton abstracting resources from local systems. Eventually this gained the attention of the Green Lantern Corps who sent Green Lanterns Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner to investigate. Zod went to greet the Lanterns but was attacked prompting the family to brutally defeat them and imprison them. Zod then gave Eradicator the task of analyzing their Green Lantern Rings to uncover the secrets of the corp. After numerous attempts to negotiate with Jordan he summoned his ring from its containment chamber and attempted to escape but were stopped by the locals who had weapons capable of piercing through constructs. Jordan then gave his ring to Rayner and sent him back to their headquarters on Mogo.
Shortly after the escape Rayner arrived back with a Lantern strike force of 8 and began fighting the locals. Lor and his parents then attacked the Lanterns to buy time for Eradicator to finish his analysis of the ring.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Lor-Zod possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Lor-Zod's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Lor-Zod can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Lor-Zod's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Lor-Zod's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Lor-Zod can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Lor-Zods can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Lor-Zod can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Lor-Zod is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Lor-Zod is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Lor-Zod is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Lor-Zod's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Lor-Zod is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Lor-Zod is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Lor-Zod can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Phantom Zone Immunity: Because Lor-Zod was conceived and born in the Phantom Zone, he is actually immune to the Zone's effects and is the only denizen who can maintain a corporeal form.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Lor-Zod possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Dependancy
- Lor-Zod was created by Richard Donner, Geoff Johns, and Adam Kubert, first appearing in Action Comics #844. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Lor-Zod first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Action Comics #984 by Dan Jurgens and Patrick Zircher.
- 17 Appearances of Lor-Zod (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Lor-Zod (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Lor-Zod (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Lor-Zod (Prime Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."