Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Mars can live again. It will.
- -- Ma'alefa'ak src
Ma'alefa'ak was a Martian scientist and mage in the twilight years of martian civilization. When the planet issued a psychic warning to the population, he was part of the majority who interpreted it as a threat from a monster and pushed his plan for the creation of the greatest weapon of war in Martian history: the Martian Manhunter. His tragic misunderstanding of the warning cost him his life and he died along with every Martian except his creation.
The Martian Manhunter, going insane due to grief and inability to process what had really happened on Mars, subconsciously created a narrative by giving birth to constructs based on Ma'alefa'ak, his group and aspects of his own mind. While they were complete fabrications of the Manhunter, they served a purpose by creating the "Epiphany", a narrative where they were supposed to be survivors planning on bringing back Mars and destroying Earth through a magical ritual. The psychic imprint of Ma'alefa'ak told him the truth of which just after the Martian Manhunter stopped them, having learned the truth about his real origins, J'onn came to terms with his past and reabsorbed all his creations within him, finally cured of his trauma and madness.
- Martian Physiology
- Extrasensory Input
- Martian Vision
- Malleable Form
- Decelerated Aging
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Strength
- Conjuration of the Anti-Red: Ma'alefa'ak was adept in the usage of a forbidden super science long since outlawed by the Martian People. Black magic labeled as the Anti-Red by his people, through it he can access a dark aspect of the morphogenetic field called The Red. Thus enabling him to manipulate Martian superalien physiology for the purpose of ritualistic weapon creation.
- Ma'alefa'ak was created by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake, first appearing in Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #0. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Ma'alefa'ak first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #3 by Rob Williams and Eddy Barrows.
- Appearances of Ma'alefa'ak (Prime Earth)
- Images featuring Ma'alefa'ak (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ma'alefa'ak (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ma'alefa'ak (Prime Earth)
- ↑ The powers and weaknesses listed are based on the common abilities of Martians first demonstrated by J'onn J'onzz. The refrences listed are based on J'onzz as depected in the Earth-One and New Earth continuities.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Detective Comics #225
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Who's Who: Update '88 #2
- ↑ Martian Manhunter #4
- ↑ Detective Comics #226
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #8
- ↑ JLA #89
- ↑ Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #14
- ↑ Who's Who in the DC Universe #5
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #4
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #6
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #8
|Martian Manhunter Villain(s) |