Ma'alefa'ak was the architect of an extinction-level event, which has since become known as H'ronmeer's Curse (or H'ronmeer's Plague). A plague of fire, this curse attacked Martians via their telepathic abilities. Whenever a Martian attempted to use their psionic gifts or commune with the Great Mind, they would fall victim to the Curse and ultimately burn to death. With the exception of Ma'alefa'ak's brother, J'onn and himself, nearly all Green Martians on the planet died as a result of Ma'alefa'ak's handiwork. For centuries, Ma'alefa'ak continued to live in the ruins of Mars, unaware that his brother had survived the plague, and had been transported through space and time to the planet Earth.
Several years ago, Ma'alefa'ak learned of J'onn's existence, and followed him to Earth in an effort to complete the genocide of the Martian race by destroying its last surviving son. The Martian Manhunter, however, foiled Ma'alefa'ak's efforts on several occasions.
During their earlier years, both Ma'Alefa'ak and J'onn underwent the ritual of G'amal'khul, in which each permanently exchanged a portion of their psyches with the other. Due to the ritual of G'amal'khul, the psychic remnant of Ma'alefa'ak living within J'onn J'onzz's mind managed to bury the similar remnants of his brother's wife and daughter. This fragment of Ma'alefa'ak then tormented his brother with twisted false memories of his life on Earth, his own persistent mental manifestation, and urges to drive the Martian Manhunter to suicide. The gambit briefly succeeded in sublimating J'onn's conscious self, allowing Ma'alefa'ak control of his physical body. But what this manifestation of Ma'alefa'ak did not count on was J'onn finally relocated his wife and daughter within himself, who assisted him in reasserting his psyche. This, combined with with the minds of the JLA, obliterated Ma'alefa'ak on the psychic plane.
- Martian Physiology: Malefic possesses the same potential powers as an average Martian. These include:
- Shape-Shifting: Martians have psionic control of their physical for down to the molecular level. This allows them to a form of shape-shifting that allows them to mimic other forms, elongate aspects of their body, increase or decrease their physical size, and so on.
- Invisibility: Martians can cause the biopolymers in their bodies to lose their ability to reflect light, making the Martians invisible to normal light and human sight.
- Phasing: Martians can go through solid matter.
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Stamina
- Extrasensory Input
- Super Hearing
- Martian Vision: Martian visual acuity greatly exceed human norms and allows for a wider range of information to be observed. This includes the following:
- Telepathy: Martians have the ability to read the minds of others and project their thoughts to varying degrees. They can also project their mental essences into a gestalt community known as the "Great Mind". Through this, the community can enhance the telepathic strength of other Martians. This power can also enable them to reverse the effects of amnesia or psychological brainwashing. 
- Astral Projection
- Mind Control: As an extension of this, Martians can also use the ability to alter a psychological profile of a target, enabling them to manipulate, and in some cases, outright control that individual. This practice is greatly discouraged however, and only rarely used. 
- Telepathic Relay
- Telepathic Assault
- Power Limitation: Malefic has no telepathy unlike most other Martians, having had it stripped from him while on Mars.
- DCU Villains Secret Files and Origins #1
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #0
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #3
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #4
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #6
- Appearances of Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
- Images featuring Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
|Martian Manhunter Villain(s) |