In order to follow the Naming Conventions, it has been suggested that this page be moved to Madame Xanadu Vol 1 1. Discuss this and other proposed moves. Do not make any changes yourself; it will be moved by an admin and/or bot.
Click here for a complete list of articles to be moved.
"Dance for Two Demons": A drug addict is caught trying to rob Madame Xanadu's place. She takes him in to help him kick his habit. Soon after, a woman visits her with a magic book of spells she doesn't understand. The woman wants to learn witchcraft, but Madame Xanadu
- Do not look to others for your magic! Look to yourselves... yourselves alone!
Appearing in "Dance for Two Demons"
- Laura's Aunt Esther (Dies in flashback)
Synopsis for "Dance for Two Demons"
A drug addict is caught trying to rob Madame Xanadu's place. She takes him in to help him kick his habit. Soon after, a woman visits her with a magic book of spells she doesn't understand. The woman wants to learn witchcraft, but Madame Xanadu forebodes it. As the woman is about to storm out of the house, she spots the addict, they make eye contact and have an attraction to one another. Later, behind the back of Madame Xanadu, the woman takes the addict out of rehab. The two began to live together, with drugs and as swingers. They read the book of spells and plan a costume party in order to gather brazen party-goers who also live the life of sin. At the party the two come together and work the crowd into an evil frenzy with music, booze and provocative images. At midnight the hysteria reaches a fever pitch and the demons of Ishtar and Tammuz are released. With the crowd yelling "hail, hail," Madame Xanadu unmasks herself and shouts at the two hosts to stop and look into each others eyes. She wants them to look deep inside themselves for the original bond they share, love at first sight. With thoughts of honeysuckle and happy puppies, the two smile, confess their love for one another and kiss, breaking the wicked fury in the room. The party's over. Days later, the woman visits Madame Xanadu and gives her the book of spells, as she no longer wants to pursue witchcraft.
Appearing in "Falling Down to Heaven"
- Vye-vorr (alien husband)
- Atma (alien wife) (Dies)
- General (human)
- Turner (human)
- Unnamed planet
Synopsis for "Falling Down to Heaven"
An alien wonders if he should save a human who has crashed-landed on his planet. The alien's dying wife pleads to her husband to kill the Earthling, as it is they who have invaded their planet and depleted their natural resources, slaughtering hundreds for their own selfish reasons — more fuel.
- This issue is a one-shot special that presents story-lines originally slated to appear in Doorway to Nightmare #6-9. Doorway to Nightmare was canceled after issue #5 as part of the DC Implosion.
- "Falling Down to Heaven" was originally slated to appear in Mystery in Space #118, but the series was canceled before the story could be published.
- This issue includes an introductory page entitled "Tarot Readings", written by Bill Kunkel with an illustration by Mike Kaluta.
- This issue includes a special Madame Xanadu glossy poster (center 2-page spread) illustrated by Mike Kaluta.
- In one panel, at the costume party, is the Joker who shouts to the crowd, "Get it on." Englehart and Marshall collaborated on Detective Comics two years earlier.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Madame Xanadu Special Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Images from Madame Xanadu Special Vol 1 1
- Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love
- Day of Vengeance
- Doorway to Nightmare
- Madame Xanadu
- Spectre (Volume 2)
- Tales of Ghost Castle
- Witching Hour