Mademoiselle Marie was a prominent French resistance fighter during the Second World War. She frequently worked with allied operatives, including Sergeant Rock, the Unknown Soldier and Alfred Pennyworth.
Mademoiselle Marie was a young French woman who joined the French Resistance during World War II, following the tradition of her father and grandfather, who were soldiers in World War I and the Franco-Prussian War, respectively. Throughout the course of the war, she performed many heroic deeds on behalf of Allied High Command for the eventual freedom of La Belle France. In her first known case, Marie's father was killed in action while working with the Resistance.
Marie and her band of Maquis operated out of a secret base located behind a waterfall in the woods off the Normandy coast. Marie was frequently opposed by her greatest enemy, Gestapo Colonel Von Ekt, who tried many times to capture her. She often worked alongside American and other Allied soldiers, including Sgt. Rock and the Unknown Soldier, providing ready assistance in their missions. While Marie's relationship with Sgt. Rock was often romantic, her relationship to the Unknown Soldier was adversarial ever since several members of her Maquis were killed while on a mission with the Unknown Soldier, and she often threatened to kill him despite being on the same side of the war.
At some point during the war, she had an affair with a British officer operating in France named Alfred Pennyworth. Their dalliance left Marie with a child, whom she named Julia. As the war was still in progress and Marie was needed in the Resistance, she left Julia in the care of her friend Jacques Remarque. Marie never informed Pennyworth of Julia's existence.
- This version of Mademoiselle Marie, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- In the post-Crisis continuity, Mademoiselle Marie was a code name used by several different French Resistance members during World War II, and had even been used in earlier wars in France. However, on Earth-One there was only one Mademoiselle Marie, and Marie was her real name according to flashbacks from her childhood.
- 35 Appearances of Mademoiselle Marie (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Mademoiselle Marie (Earth-One)
- 2 Quotations by or about Mademoiselle Marie (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Mademoiselle Marie (Earth-One)