Over 10 billion years ago, Maltus was the center of a great civilization of humanoids, now almost forgotten. This civilization's heyday ended when a scientist named Krona conducted experiments of a nature perilous to reality itself. This split the Maltusians into three groups: the [[Guardians of
Over 10 billion years ago, Maltus was the center of a great civilization of humanoids, now almost forgotten. This civilization's heyday ended when a scientist named Krona conducted experiments of a nature perilous to reality itself. This split the Maltusians into three groups: the Guardians of the Universe, who left for Oa; the Zamarons, who moved to a new world and named it Zamaron; and the Controllers, who left our reality altogether to plan their next move.
Today, Maltus is an extremely overpopulated planet which serves as home to a poverty-stricken humanoid race of unknown origin, but human-like as the Terrans. Years ago, a meteor caused sterility on the entire population. Maltus now being a planet of the elderly, a woman named Mother Juna then begun to produce clones which would grow to adulthood in few days; and these clones aren't steriles, what caused overpopulation. While advanced in technology, Maltus suffers from severe problems due to their overpopulation, as famine, water scarcity, violence and poverty. Its inhabitants are particularly misogynist, since women can bear children.
Points of Interest
- R.E.B.E.L.S Headquarters
- Mother Juna
- Krona (Formerly)
- Maltusians (Formerly)
- Controllers (Formerly)
- Guardians of the Universe (Formerly)
- Zamarons (Formerly)
- A race of giant toads  (extinct?)
- Maltus is recorded as having an age of terrible giant beasts prior to the rise of the Maltusians, similar to how humanity's time on Earth was predated by the time of the dinosaurs. One such creature is known to still exist, the Sinestro Corps member Borialosaurus.
- Maltus has rarely been referred to in DC Comics due to Oa being the main base of operations for the Guardians of the Universe. However, the heritage which comes of its status as the Guardians' former home is probably one of the reasons that Brainiac 2 located LEGION's headquarters here.
- It is also unclear if Maltus or the symbiotes exist in current DC continuity. Neither have been mentioned in DC books for some time. The effects that Infinite Crisis had on the DCU also complicates the origin of the Guardians of the Universe further, seeing as how an updated version of their origin has still not been revealed.
- Maltus is now so densely populated that contraceptives have to be added to the water supply.
- The name "Maltus" is likely a reference to the British demographer and political economist Thomas Robert Malthus, who predicted for Earth overpopulation problems similar to those the fictional planet had to face.