Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Manchester Black is a British anti-hero with powerful telepathic and telekinetic powers and the leader of a team of super-powered individuals known as The Elite.
Manchester Black was a high-ranking executive at S.T.A.R. Labs. He created Algorithm, an A.I. that commits acts of terrorism across New York City in order to lure the Teen Titans to S.T.A.R. Labs, where he organizes an attack on himself to be saved by the Titans and gain their trust. Eventually, he teamed up with Titans and formed The Elite with Wonder Girl, Power Girl, Klarion, Guardian, Kid Flash, and Trinity.
Black formed the Super Elite when he helped some aliens escape the Kroogarians. He discovered Superman's secret identity and made the aliens Kathy Braden and her father Cobb infiltrate the life of the Kent Family, becoming their neighbors in Hamilton County. Eventually, he managed to capture Superboy and nullified his powers for a while, forcing him to watch images of Lois and Clark fighting the Elite and suffering.
When Black confronts Superman, the two argue over what it takes to keep people safe; kill criminals. Superman disagrees and Black restores Jon's powers and corrupts him to fight alongside him. But Jon ends up returning to normal and Kathy uses her powers to create a transfer of Black's consciousness to one of the Braden family's dairy cows.
At some point, Black managed to get back to normal and joined the Task Force XI; a substitute for Suicide Squad consisting of world's most powerful telepaths. Amanda Waller activated it to extract information from Brainiac after he abducted Earth's heroes, not knowing that he was trying to save the universe from the Omega Titans. The resulting strain killed the world collector as he tried to fight back.
Powers and Abilities
- Psychokinesis: Manchester Black is an incredibly powerful psychic with vast telepathic and telekinetic powers. With his power he is strong enough to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Superman and Superboy.
- Telekinesis: Manchester Black is an extremely powerful telekinetic. He has thrown Superman several hundred meters without moving a muscle after stopping the advance of his Heat Vision dead in its tracks. He also used his telekinesis to slice Frankenstein's hand off.
- Telepathy: Manchester Black is a powerful telepath. At some point he read the mind of Superman to learn his secret identity as Clark Kent.
- Illusion Casting: Manchester Black is able to create illusions in the minds of others. He made Superman and Superboy believe their tree was still burning even after the fire had subsided. He also conjured an illusion of Superboy's dead cat in front of him.
- Mind Control: Manchester Black is able to mentally dominate and control a person's every action. He displayed the ability to control minds when he took over the mind of Superboy, making him attack his allies. This ability appears to be harder to perform for Manchester.
- Astral Projection: Using his telepathic powers, Black is able to bring his soul outside his body. He usually only does this as a last result if he believes his physical body is in danger of being destroyed.
- Manchester Black was created by Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke, first appearing in Action Comics #775. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Manchester Black first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Teen Titans (Volume 5) #2 by Will Pfeifer and Kenneth Rocafort.
- He is openly bisexual, at one point joking that he is "48 percent gay on [his] mother's side."
- 33 Appearances of Manchester Black (Prime Earth)
- 13 Images featuring Manchester Black (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Manchester Black (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Manchester Black (Prime Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
|Power Girl Villain(s) |
Suicide Squad member