"Dumas Kills": Mark meets with his father, Eliot, in Eliot's office. Eliot offers him a contract to go to Tokyo and deliver a subpoena, an offer which Mark accepts. James arrives with an anonymous offer to buy one of Mark's masks, an offer which Mark declines. James calls DeVree and informs h
Appearing in "Dumas Kills"
- Mr. DeVree
- Akira Shiamura (Single appearance)
- Various Yakuza Members of the Dai-Ichi Doku Clan
- Numerous Japanese Policemen and Citizens
- New York City, New York
- Eliot Shaw's Office
- Tokyo, Japan
- Dumas' Company Building/Penthouse
- Tokyo Airport
- Ryokan Inabaso
- Manhunter Power Baton
- Manhunter Mask
Synopsis for "Dumas Kills"
Mark meets with his father, Eliot, in Eliot's office. Eliot offers him a contract to go to Tokyo and deliver a subpoena, an offer which Mark accepts. James arrives with an anonymous offer to buy one of Mark's masks, an offer which Mark declines. James calls DeVree and informs him. DeVree, in Tokyo, is being driven to a meeting with Dumas. He is accompanied by Akira Shiamura, a man who will take over when DeVree retires. They meet and give Dumas the job telling him that Mark Shaw will come here.
Mark flies first class to Tokyo and finds his accomodations at Ryokan Inabaso, a pre-war house converted into an inn. That night he visits downtown Tokyo and switches to Manhunter as he arrives at the house of his target, Stephen Lee. He enters the penthouse only to be ambushed by Dumas throwing daggers. Manhunter hurls himself out the window and reenters the building further down disrupting a business meeting, members of whom call for the police. Once on the ground Manhunter is surrounded by policemen. He prepares to surrender and explain when one of Dumas' throwing daggers flips through Manhunter's hand and strikes and kills a police officer. Manhunter suspects one of the cops of being Dumas but flees thinking the cops would no longer be willing to listen. Manhunter escapes with Dumas in pursuit. After surviving a car impact, Manhunter flees the crowd thinking he has seen his own face. Dumas, now disguised as Mark Shaw, grabs a policeman's gun and kills several policemen with it. Dumas/Shaw escapes after surrendering Mark Shaw's passport. Dumas quickly finds Manhunter and introduces himself. He tells Manhunter that, because of him, both Manhunter and Mark Shaw are wanted by the police. He then explains he has taken a contract on Mark Shaw for the Manhunter mask and Mark's life. Manhunter manages to flee Dumas, forfeiting his power baton in the process, and comes to a stop at the bottom of a building construction project. As Dumas descends, Manhunter hits the beams with electrical wires stunning Dumas and allowing Manhunter to escape. Mark removes his costume but finds himself quickly surrounded by Yukuza who want Mark to come with them.
- Due to a retcon presented in Issue 13 of the third Manhunter series, Mark Shaw was purportedly brainwashed into having a second, hidden personality known as Dumas. It is unclear if there was ever a real Dumas, if Shaw always unknowingly acted as Dumas, and/or if "encounters" with Dumas were all imagined or hallucinated. Thus certain aspects of this story may not be considered canon.
- In the opening scenes Mark, Eliot and James Shaw are at work in New York City. James then calls DeVree in Tokyo where it is daylight. Because the time difference is 13 hours, it must either be very late in NYC or very early in Tokyo.
- In his first appearance Mr. DeVree appears as bald on the top of his head, clean shaven and wearing glasses. In his next appearance, he has most of his hair, a mustache and no glasses.
- Discuss Manhunter Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Manhunter series
- Images from Manhunter Vol 1 2
- Manhunter Recommended Reading