Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Mar Novu, also known as the Over-Monitor or simply the Monitor, was a being created by the Super Celestial Perpetua, the creator of the Multiverse, to monitor and nurture the universes of the Multiverse, and to halt any crisis that might destroy them.
Mar Novu was created by a Super Celestial named Perpetua in the Sixth Dimension alongside his brothers Mobius and Alpheus. Perpetua had been sent from the greater Omniverse to build a new Multiverse, and the three brothers were its first inhabitants. Perpetua explained to the three children that her Multiverse comprised of three main realms made out of the three basic forms of matter- dark matter, rich with potential; positive matter, firm and constant; and anti-matter, all-destroying and corrosive. The three had been created to monitor these realms. Alpheus was tasked with monitoring the dark matter realm beneath creation where he would be a mighty World Forger, building the myriad worlds and universes of creation. Mar Novu was tasked with monitoring the positive matter realm, where he would guard the many universes that rose out of the dark from cosmic crises. The last brother, Mobius, was made Novu's opposite, tasked with making sure the light of creation did not breach the greater Omniverse. Curious, Novu asked his mother what her purpose in this new Multiverse was, as her role as creator had already been fulfilled. She told her son that she would remain to make sure that all of her children lived and the Multiverse would keep going.
Five billion years later the Monitor was perplexed by a mysterious planet in the prime universe that had not been created by any of the three brothers or the denizens of the Sphere of the Gods, this planet was called Earth.
- Monitor Physiology: As a Monitor Mar Novu possesses nigh-infinite power, being one of the most powerful beings in the entire Multiverse. Mar Novu can peer beyond void to watch neighboring Multiverses within the greater Omniverse although this was possible because Mar Novu was in the Monitor Sphere when he did it, the edge of thing. Like his brothers, Mar Novu contains the energies of his respective domain but he lack the power to shape it. Mar Novu has the potential to merge with his brothers to form the Ultra-Monitor.
- Cosmic Awareness: As one of the three cosmic entities responsible for the nurturing of the Multiverse, Mar Novu possesses vast knowledge about the different realities and dimensions that make up existence.
- Immortality: Mar Novu was one of the first three beings in the entire Multiverse, created over twenty billion years ago. In this time the Monitor has not aged a single day physically or mentally.
- Resurrection: Each time the Monitor is miraculously killed, he just re-forms in the Sixth Dimension.
- Size Alteration: The Monitor can manipulate his physical size. There is no currently no known limit to how much he can grow. He has shown himself capable of growing from the height of an ordinary man to the size of several planets.
- Teleportation: Mar Novu can teleport himself to vast distances with no issue, such as the Antimatter Universe and even the Monitor Sphere, the very edge of things.
- Dimensional Superstructure Like those put in place to monitor all creation, Mar Novu wields the Dimensional Superstructure, a power which govern all things imaginable and unimaginable and it is one of the seven forces of the Universe.
- The Monitor was created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, first appearing in New Teen Titans #21. However, in the Prime Earth continuity The Monitor first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in The Batman Who Laughs #1 by James Tynion IV and Riley Rossmo.
- 16 Appearances of Mar Novu (Sixth Dimension)
- 1 Images featuring Mar Novu (Sixth Dimension)
- Quotations by or about Mar Novu (Sixth Dimension)
- Character Gallery: Mar Novu (Sixth Dimension)