Martha Roberts was the daughter of Professor Roberts, who tutored his young protege Darrel Dane in his home laboratory. During the summer of 1939, Martha was being blackmailed by a criminal named Falco over love letters she had written one of her former college teachers. After imbibing a concoction, Dane found himself shrunk to the height of six inches, but with his normal strength multiplied by twenty. Martha sewed him new clothes to wear, and he began to worry that he might never be able to regain his normal height.
After refusing to pay Falco any more blackmail money, Martha was kidnapped by Falco and rescued by the "Doll Man". Finding through intense concentration, Dane could affect his height, he decided to begin to fight crime as Doll Man, often assisted by Martha (who also became his scientific research assistant).
In 1944, while wishing and concentrating about being able to shrink down to aid Doll Man, Darrel also was thinking about the same thing and suddenly, Martha's height and weight dwindled down until she was on the same scale as Doll Man. She briefly teamed with Doll Man as Midge. In 1951, Martha adopted a longer-lasting super-identity as Doll Girl.
- Flying saucer
- This version of Doll Girl, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Although Martha Roberts was usually depicted with brown hair and brown eyes, on at least one occasion she was shown with black hair and blue eyes.
- 82 Appearances of Martha Roberts (Quality Universe)
- 9 Images featuring Martha Roberts (Quality Universe)
- Quotations by or about Martha Roberts (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: Martha Roberts (Quality Universe)