Martler was the leader of a group of Martians in the Earth-Two universe called Solazis who admired and emulated Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party. The Solazis abducted famed actor/writer/director Orson Welles from Earth to be their propaganda minister during their planned invasion of Earth. Welles was chosen for this role because of his legendary 1938 radio dramatization of The War of the Worlds which was mistaken by some to be a news broadcast and which caused a breakout of panic. Welles used radio equipment to attempt to warn Earth's people of Martler's planned attack, but was not believed by most because of his earlier "hoax". Superman, however, did believe Welles and travelled to Mars and foiled the Solazis' plot. Superman and Welles left Martler stranded on an uninhabited asteroid to live out the rest of his days.
- This version of Martler, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Martler (Earth-Two)
- 2 Images featuring Martler (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Martler (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Martler (Earth-Two)
- Orson Welles at Wikipedia.org
- War of the Worlds (radio drama) at Wikipedia.org
- Internet Archive: War of the Worlds
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."