Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Bette Kane is the heroine Hawkfire (formerly Flamebird), a cousin and student of Batwoman.
Bette trains with Batwoman, her cousin, under the identity of Plebe, the term used to describe freshmen at West Point.
After Batwoman's first, nearly-fatal encounter with La Llorona, she informs Bette that she will no longer be training her due to the dangers involved and Bette not taking things seriously. Angry, Bette later dons a spare Flamebird costume and heads out on a solo patrol, where she is badly beaten and gutted by the Hook. Cameron Chase soon finds her and delivers her to a hospital, but not before using her to determine Batwoman's real identity.
Bette remains in a coma for some time, and receives further therapy from Jacob Kane after she returns home. She later takes the identity of Hawkfire to assist Batwoman and Wonder Woman in defeating Medusa, and later helps recover Elizabeth Kane from the DEO.
She hangs up the Hawkfire uniform after getting ambushed by Wolf Spider during a patrol and getting some ribs broken, though she still assists Batwoman behind the scenes.
A Lonely Place of Living
Bette, visiting Kate in Gotham, discusses how much happier Kate is with the Bat-Family. She then goes on to say she wants to join The Team as Flamebird. Kate replies that if Bette manages to pass her second year Term End Exams at West Point better than the 99th percentile, she'll pass on a good word to Batman. Bette tries to argue, but Kate is called away by Batman. She orders Bette to stay put and out of costume. Bette agrees reluctantly.
Powers and Abilities
- Athletics: Bette used to play tennis.
- Military Protocol
- Psychology: Bette studied forensic psychology at Gotham University before teaming with Kate.
- Bette Kane was created by Bill Finger and Sheldon Moldoff, first appearing in Batman #139. Mary Elizabeth Kane was adapted by George Pérez and Tom Grummett from Bette Kane; first appearing in Secret Origins Annual #3. The latter version of the character was adapted and introduced into the Prime Earth continuity first appearing as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batwoman #1 by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman.
- At some point she took a break from vigilante work and vacationed in Los Angeles, and later enrolled at West Point.
- By the time of "A Lonely Place of Living," she is a yearling, or sophomore, making her a member of the Class of 2020.
- 33 Appearances of Mary Elizabeth Kane (Prime Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Mary Elizabeth Kane (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Mary Elizabeth Kane (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mary Elizabeth Kane (Prime Earth)
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
|Titans West member|
This character is or was a member of the Titans West in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Titans West members" category.