Matthew "Red" Ryan is a circus acrobat and daredevil. The Red was en route to appear on the radio program but was involved in a plane crash but miraculously survives along with three other men. The other men consisted of Olympic westling champion Lester "Rocky" Davis, Pilot Kyle " Ace" Morgan and Walter "Prof" Haley a master skin diver and oceanographer. The four survivors decided that they were now all living 'on borrowed time', and banded together to start their adventuring career as the Challengers of the Unknown.
- Master Acrobat: Red is a natural athlete, possessing Olympic level of agility/acrobatic skills. He is regarded as the one of the best acrobats in the World.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Red is skilled in hand to hand combat even though he has recived no formal training, incorporating his immense acrobatic ability into his fighting style. This skill has been immensely honed on his adventures with the challengers, and has been trained in hand to hand combat by rocky, a former wrestling and boxing champion.
- *'Electrical Engineering: Red is also a skilled technician and engineer, showing his skills on various missions.
- 'Driving: Was once an extremely skilled stunt motorcyclist, and considered to be one of the "bravest young men in the world.", being able to make almost any jump with precision.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 162 Appearances of Matthew Ryan (New Earth)
- 16 Images featuring Matthew Ryan (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Matthew Ryan (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Matthew Ryan (New Earth)
|Challengers of the Unknown member|
This character is or was a member of the Challengers of the Unknown