Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Max Mercury was a superhero speedster and member of the Flash Family.
Max was erased from the timeline due to the events of the Flashpoint and was trapped in the Speed Force. He was however a part of the timeline of the older Barry Allen in the 25th Century, having become a legendary speedster by then.
Max and Jesse Quick met the 21st Century Barry for the first time when he entered the Speed Force after his body was taken over by Eobard Thawne. As a result of his guilt, he however saw them as nightmarish creatures. The two saved him from being lost in the Speed Force, which caused him to finally remember them.
Jesse and Max then helped Barry to escape back to his universe by self-reflecting on his thoughts. He however decided to help the two escape too and finally become a part of their timeline. After they escaped the Speed Force, Thawne realized he and his Legion of Zoom won't be able to stand against the reunited Flash Family. He soon shocked them by bringing in even more members he had recruited across various realities to fight them.
- Speed Force Conduit: Max possesses a connection to the Speed Force, a mysterious cosmic force that pushes time and space itself forward. As it does this, the Speed Force creates excess energy that builds up and needs to be released. When Max uses his powers, he taps into that built up energy. As a conduit of the Speed Force, all aspects of Max's physiology are accelerated and enhanced.
- Superhuman Speed: Max is capable of moving at incredible superhuman speeds, fast enough to keep up with Eobard Thawne's attacks during a fight.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Max possesses reflexes far greater than a normal human being. This allows him to easily react to danger and events, and perceive the world in slow motion.
- Superhuman Agility: Max's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows him to easily maneuver while moving at superhuman speed.
- Superhuman Stamina: Max's body can handle the stress of moving at superhuman speeds for long periods of time without out getting tired or weak.
- Speed Force Aura: Max's body is surrounded by a "friction cushion", a field of kinetic absorbent energy that protects him and anyone who is running with or carried by him from the rigorous effects of using his speed. Including friction, airborne particulate matter, heavy impacts, G-Force and the like.
- Electrokinesis: As a conduit of the Speed Force, Max's body generates large amounts of the electrical energy that he draws from the Speed Force. This Speed Force lightning emanates off of him, especially when moving at superhuman speed.
- Enhanced Senses: The Speed Force grants Max enhanced senses that allow him to perceive the world at a rate attuned to his reaction speed, as well as grants him extra temporal senses he can access through meditation.
- Cosmic Awareness: Through meditation, Max can "feel" the Speed Force and the connection of other speedsters across the multiverse.
- Telepathy: Through his "hypermeditation", Max was able to send a telepathic signal to speedsters across the multiverse in order to draw them to his location. This telepathic signal can even contact conduits of other cosmic forces, as Max was able to contact Steadfast and Fuerza, who are conduits of the Strength and Still Forces.
- Max Mercury was created by Jack Cole and Chuck Mazoujian, first appearing in National Comics #5. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Max Mercury first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in The Flash (Volume 5) #26 by Joshua Williamson and Howard Porter.
- 12 Appearances of Max Mercury (Prime Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Max Mercury (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Max Mercury (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Max Mercury (Prime Earth)
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.