Maxwell Tremaine was a criminal scientist and a former Nazi.
Maxwell once attempted to force the super-hero Metamorpho into repairing a series of experimental weapons for him, but when Metamorpho refused, he then turned those same weapons against him. Metamorpho used his powers to protect Sapphire Stagg from Tremaine's attack and soon apprehended him.
Tremaine turned up again years later. He created an android named Even Steven who had the ability to duplicate anyone's appearance and abilities. He had Steven masquerade as Metamorpho and abduct Sapphire Stagg on the day she was to marry Metamorpho. Metamorpho and Simon Stagg tracked Tremaine back to his junkyard and fought with him. Tremaine used a robot called Mantis and ordered it to destroy Metamorpho, but the Element Man succeeded in besting it. By this point, Even Steven had duplicated Metamorpho's composition so perfectly that he even adapted some of his personality traits as well, including his love for Sapphire Stagg. When Tremaine threatened Sapphire's life, Even Steven betrayed his creator and attacked. Both of them died in the ensuing conflict.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In his earlier appearances, Maxwell's last name is spelled Tremaine. In later appearances, its spelled Tremayne.
- 4 Appearances of Maxwell Tremaine (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Maxwell Tremaine (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Maxwell Tremaine (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Maxwell Tremaine (New Earth)