Michael Demiurgos is a powerful Archangel and the brother of Lucifer Morningstar. During his brother's rebellion, Michael led the angels during the War in Heaven. Michael is also the guardian of the Gate of Heaven.
Many years ago, during Lucifer's rebellion in Heaven, Michael led God's forces against Lucifer but during the battle he was felled by Sandalphon when he exposed his back. From that point on, he was kept in captivity by "Lucifer's follower" whose grand scheme was to use Michael's genetic material to create an army of angels with the Demiurge inside them.
The majority of these children were failures but one, his prize, was not, for even better than having the Demiurge inside the child, the child was a female, meaning she could sexually create even more servants for him. This child was Elaine Belloc. But before Sandalphon could put these plans to fruition, Lucifer came to collect both Elaine and Michael from Sandalphon for he himself needed them. Michael was dying and should he die, the release of the power within him would destroy the whole creation.
So, Lucifer brought Michael to where Lux once stood in Los Angeles and Lucifer was eventually granted entrance into his own realm, for it was the only place it would be safe for Michael to die, and there it was that Lucifer impaled his brother and the Demiurge filled the Void.
However, Michael was reborn, healthy and full of life once again and he and his brother parted ways, for the two could never agree, fighting on opposite sides of the spectrum and Michael returns to Heaven where he sought out Yahweh's counseling... counseling he did not approve of. So it is that Michael, the angel perhaps most loyal to The Presence was exiled from Heaven and he begins a quest with his various companions, a quest to find and rescue his daughter.
The Wolf Beneath the Tree
After he fled Destiny's table in a rage, Michael flew straight to Heaven with his daughter Elaine trying her best to keep up with him, until she finally did so on the outskirts of the Silver City. By then, however, she had no chance to confront her father for he had neared his target and lighted upon the ledge of a tower with but a single window that opened to a room at the top of the tower. As he stood there he simply turned to Elaine, their eyes locked, and she understood as he told her to leave that he was going to try and save creation. That room was The Logos, the place where God's voice lives, and once within Michael lay on the floor like a child, pouring out the Dunamis Demiurgos, God's power into all of the things, renewing Yahweh's name on every atom in the universe. Michael had sacrificed himself to save his father's abandoned creation.
When Uriel is told of these events by Elaine he seems to agree with Michael's reasoning and believes it to be for the better, but Lucifer interrupts and says that while the attempt may have worked under normal circumstances, a new variable has been added to the equation, Fenris, and he's on the move to Yggdrasil. That is why, against Uriel's pleading, Lucifer himself goes to the Logos and entering the single window he bellows at his brother, ordering him to awake. Michael hears nothing of course or at least makes no response so the Morningstar places his palms flat on the tower and with his own incredible power incinerates the structure. Emerging from the rubble a clearly enraged Michael gathers himself rather quickly and says, "Speak quickly Lucifer. Or I call this Host to witness -- you will not speak again."
Whether a conflict ensues is never revealed but it seems Lucifer wins Michael over, at least temporarily, as Michael, Lucifer, Elaine and the Host head to Svartalfheim where Michael still remains distrustful of his brother. Lucifer seems to have clued him into some things but Michael still isn't clear on everything proving that despite his power, he doesn't hold the knowledge Lucifer does. Michael is confused as to why they need to be in Svartalfheim if their journey to Yggdrasil won't be physical. Lucifer responds by telling him that The World Tree expects to be approached from such a direction which in relativity, should make things at least a little easier for the three of them.
Their journey is long and hard, but never truly explained how they made it, although Charlie Gilmour notices them while making his own journey to Yggdrasil and he says that he saw three angels, one bleeding power (Michael), another will (Lucifer) and the third something from her eyes (Elaine). Eventually, after Charlie, Fenris, Abonsam and Bet reach the World Tree and get settled in, some ways away Lucifer, Michael and Elaine all plummet to the earth, both Michael and Lucifer now unconscious and Elaine blind, making them the perfect victims for a certain Trickster.
In the fields of Yggdrasil, Michael groggily awakes, eyes opening weakly as he mutters, "L -- Lucifer?" Getting to his hands and knees he speaks again as he sees his daughter, choking for breath while Lucifer's outstretched arm suspends her in the air and Michael speaks again, louder this time, "Brother?" Swiftly he clambers to his feet and rushes to get between the two, trying to push Elaine away from his brother, warning Lucifer to stay away from Elaine. But Lucifer's only reply is, "Morningstar? I am Fenris. I am The Wolf!" With that, the maddened Lucifer thrusts Elaine's head into the side of Michael's face, taking both of them out. Lucifer and Michael now begin their greatest and final fight, Michael is trying his best not to harm his brother holding back Lucifer's fists.
Yet it seems a show of force will be necessary when Michael is lying upon the ground, his wings flattened beneath his back, he raises his right hand, apologizes to his brother for what is to come (seeing as Lucifer is not himself) and than from his hand bursts forth a white energy that envelops Lucifer, taking its toll on him and causing the Morningstar to cry out in pain. Now within a massive crater, Michael stands over Lucifer whose on his hands and knees, both of their wings are in tatters, what's left of their clothes torn, blood streaming over their bodies. Smoke rises around their bodies and although Michael is stronger, he makes one fatal error, he tries to reason with his brother, telling Lucifer that it is not he who acts.
Michael tells Lucifer to fight it, to be himself, lest all their pain and effort be for naught and creation falls. But Lucifer, still possessed simply turns his head to the side, blood dripping from his mouth as he grins evilly at his brother, "Excellent." Then in a blur of speed, he grabs his brother and Lucifer takes to the air, glowing with energy as he takes his brother higher into the heavens. As they ascend Michael still pleads with his brother, "Morningstar -- brother -- I don't want to kill you --" but Lucifer simply scoffs at these words as he points out that with his broken wings, Michael's strength is failing. His own rant thus begins, "I am the furnace in which you will be unmade. I am your death." But Michael remains stubborn and responds by telling Lucifer that he will be the death of all and that it will all be his own doing and his alone. Lucifer heeds not these words in his madness and a massive expulsion of energy erupts from within him, engulfing both sons of Yahweh, leaving them both to plummet to the ground, burning as they fall.
Michael and Lucifer crash through the upper branches of Yggdrasil, snapping them as they continue their descent, lost to view for some time, but then after things seem to calm down with the departing of Fenris, a broken Lucifer stumbles over to the place where his brother lays in a pool of blood, at the base of the tree, his own leathery wings are naught but spines now, jutting from his back. Cleared of mind he weakly speaks his brother's name, but it is too late. Michael is dying, the fate of creation sealed, but the latter issue is not the current problem for Michael's death provides a problem in and of itself. And so he calls out to Elaine, asking her to come to him, the blinded Elaine follows the voice of her father until she is kneeling at his side.
She promises him that she will stay by his side till he dies if he would like but he cuts her off, for that is not why he called her. Within himself he holds power, Yahweh's power, the Dunamis Demiurgos, and should he die, this power would be released, overwhelming all of creation and destroying it. Elaine argues that creation will be destroyed anyway, but Michael ensures her that that process will take days or even weeks but that he is dying NOW and she must act now. Seeing as she is the only other Demiurge, it is her duty to take the Dunamis Demiurgos from him. Lucifer interrupts by saying that Elaine is too weak, that she cannot do it and so draws Michael's attention to the Morningstar. He asks to exchange apologies with his brother, as he never thought it would have to come to this but Lucifer tells him, that Michael is not at fault, that he himself is to blame and the brothers seem to make a silent peace with one another.
This being said, Michael then returns his attention to his daughter, explaining to her that she must not only let his power flow into her, but she must contain it as well but in fear, she tells him she knows not how to perform such a feat. Michael and Elaine become more panicked as Michael tells his daughter that should she survive she will find herself with a great many duties, though he believes in her ability to rise to them, but Elaine simply has last regrets on her mind and begins apologizing to her father, for not trying to talk to him, for not coming to him. Then it is that her father utters his last words, proving that he can acknowledge his own faults "It would have done no good. I was proud and stubborn. I could have sought you out. I could have --" and so he dies, Elaine hovering him, a scream ripped from his throat as his nigh-uncontainable energy bursts forth from his body, engulfing Yggdrasil and all within its perimeter.
Powers and Abilities
- Nigh-Omnipotence/Divine Empowerment: The archangel Michael Demuirgos is the second most powerful being in the universe, equaled only by his brother, Lucifer, and surpassed only by their father, the God of the Covenant. Michael was gifted with the power of the Presence himself, the Dunamis Demiurgos. As a vessel for this divine power, If Michael were to die and release it, it would wipe all life from the universe and leave nothing behind. Michael's death released enough energy for Lucifer to craft an entire universe from it. Michael is alone among his kind, in that he can conceive children.
- Cosmic Awareness
- Dimensional Travel: Michael can open gateways between dimensions at will and travel to other realms. He can also banish other beings from Heaven.
- Disintegration: Michael was able to disintegrate two angels with a stare.
- Ectokinesis: Michael was able to control the primal essence of the Spectre Force and bond it to a human host.
- Eldritch Blast: Michael can project massive blasts of divine energy, capable of harming even his brother, Lucifer.
- Flight: Michael can fly through the use of his large angelic wings.
- Immortality: Michael will never grow physically old and can live forever. As an archangel, he cannot die by any ordinary means.
- Invulnerability: Michael is invulnerable to most forms of harm. He was capable of withstanding a massive blast of fire from Lucifer and sustained no injuries.
- Metamorphosis: Michael can alter his form at will and can transform into his other "aspects". He is known as the god Kali, in the Hindu belief system and can change into this form at will.
- Power Distribution: Michael is able to bind the divine Spectre Force to a human host at will.
- Reality Alteration: Michael's demiurgic power allows him to create anything from nothing, although he needs Lucifer's power to shape it. Michael's power gave birth to the first matter. It was stated that he could have ended the war in Heaven with a gesture.
- Resurrection: If Michael is somehow killed, he is capable of reconstructing himself from energy.
- Size Alteration: Michael is able to alter his size at will.
- Superhuman Agility
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength
- Teleportation: As the guardian of the gate of Heaven, Michael could teleport others to and from the gate.
- This character is an adaptation of Michael the Archangel, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- In the beginning, Michael was given the Demiurge power by Yahweh, which gave him the ability to enable the physical creation of the cosmos to occur. However, although it was Michael's Demiurge power that created the universe out of nothingness, it was Lucifer who willed it into existence using his infinite will. Michael's only limitation is that he cannot manipulate what he has created, meaning that he cannot give shape to his creation. Only his brother, Lucifer, is capable of doing that. Together, Michael and Lucifer are capable of creating entire multiverses.
- 37 Appearances of Michael Demiurgos (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Michael Demiurgos (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Michael Demiurgos (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Michael Demiurgos (New Earth)