Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Mister Terrific (real name Michael Holt) is a brilliant inventor and businessman and a founding member of the Terrifics.
Michael was known as a prodigy at an early age. By the time he reached adulthood, he became known as one of the smartest men on Earth. He was married at some point and witnessed the death of his wife Paula and unborn son. After this tragedy, Michael decided to face the unknown and was inspired to become the super hero Mister Terrific. He founded his own company Holt Industries and became one of the leading tech moguls on the planet. He also became romantically involved with Karen Starr, owner of Starr Industries.
Debut of Mister Terrific
When a terrorist group known as Prodigy entered the scene, Mr. Terrific made his debut to the world. While facing Prodigy he found himself at odds with Col. Andrew Lincoln and the Blackhawks, as Lincoln believed technology of Mister Terrific's calibre should be controlled by the government.
When Michael discovered that Karen Starr had been secretly breaking into Holt Industries and stealing technology to create a quantum tunnel, he attempted to impede her break-ins by adjusting his security to keep her from setting foot in his company again. He attempted to follow her through the rift she had created and discovered another world.
After having adventures in Earth 2, Michael would return to his Earth where he learned of the rise of the Dark Multiverse. He met with Batman in private at his Lunar Batcave. There, Batman unveiled an egg-shaped containment unit bearing the emblem of super hero Plastic Man, implying that he was contained in it and now was the time to release him.
Mister Terrific rescued the Gotham Resistance from the Dark Knights. He and Hal Jordan then went to Thanagar to get more Nth Metal, but they were captured by Starro. They were saved by Martian Manhunter.
Following his journey into the Dark Multiverse, Holt discovered that his company had been bought out by industrial mogul Simon Stagg, much to his chagrin. He returned to the old building, now used by Stagg Enterprises, and came to discover that Stagg had been performing experiments on Metamorpho, forcing him to transform himself into Nth Metal. This opened a portal to the Dark Multiverse, which Terrific, Plastic Man, and Metamorpho were sucked into.
- Genius Level Intellect: Holt is described as having "a natural aptitude for having natural aptitudes;" picking up complicated skills quickly and retaining them. (IQ 179).
- Eidetic Memory: Holt also possesses an eidetic memory, meaning that he never forgets anything and has perfect recall.
- Polymath: Holt is a polymath who has specialized in multiple fields of medicine, engineering and science. He possesses 14 Ph.D's (two of which are in engineering and physics-including assorted doctorates and masters in degrees in Law, Psychology, Chemistry, Political Science and Mathematics).
- Gymnastics: Olympic Gold Medalist in the decathlon.
- Investigation: Holt was recommended by Batman to investigate Adam Strange after he requested him to send someone just as good at investigation as him.
- Martial Arts: He is a black belt in 6 different martial arts disciplines.
- Multilingualism: Holt is also multilingual, though the extent of this has not been revealed. He has been shown to speak the language of the nation of Kahndaq. Given Holt's propensity for learning, it likely that he speaks several other languages as well.
- Tactical Analysis: Holt is good in strategy, playing chess against two opponents with eyes closed.
- Business Management: Holt is the Billionaire C.E.O of Holt Industries aka HoltCorp, a high tech firm he founded himself. He's also a Engineer, Inventor, Industrialist, and Scientist.
- Peak Human Condition
- Peak Human Strength
- Peak Human Agility
- Peak Human Reflexes
- Peak Human Endurance
- Dark Energy Bonding(Formerly): After being exposed to the Dark Multiverse energy, the Terrifics members became tethered to each other, which causes an explosion if they are separated more than a mile from each other.
- T-Spheres: Floating robotic spheres which can do many things including projecting holographic images, creating laser grids, serving as cameras, linking with outside data networks, allowing Holt to fly by bearing his weight, self-destructing, generating powerful electrical charges, and striking as flying projectile weapons. They respond to his mental and vocal commands.
- Mister Terrific was created by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake, first appearing in Spectre (Volume 3) #54. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Eric Wallace and Gianluca Gugliotta's New 52 Mister Terrific series.
- Holt is an atheist. After his wife's death he stopped believing in God.
- 152 Appearances of Michael Holt (Prime Earth)
- 62 Images featuring Michael Holt (Prime Earth)
- 14 Quotations by or about Michael Holt (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Michael Holt (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Justice Society of America member